Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2010, 11:53 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Still the same number of threads, and Intel with a 400Mhz advantage per core... Hmmmm

Maybe somewhere out there there's actually a comparison that's clock for clock, thread for thread, lol.
Old April 8, 2010, 12:27 PM
Banned
F@H

wait a sec...werent x number of physical cores better than x number of (cores+threads) ??
Old April 8, 2010, 12:32 PM
Top Prospect

Does anyone know how many processors this chipset can manage? It would be amazing if you could do 4 or 8 processors; 48 or 96 cores.
Old April 8, 2010, 12:40 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
wait a sec...werent x number of physical cores better than x number of (cores+threads) ??
Yes, actually. Cores > threads. But in the last review Zero posted the Intel has a 400Mhz clock advantage and still manages to loose benchmarks, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by whited View Post
Does anyone know how many processors this chipset can manage? It would be amazing if you could do 4 or 8 processors; 48 or 96 cores.
At least 4 from what I've seen. Many extra HT3 links have been added to Magny Cours to allow direct communication between the CPUs (no more Multiprocessor assist required).
Old April 8, 2010, 01:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

That's more like it :P

Though I have my doubts about the cinebench and the other graphical benchmarks in terms of optimisation of the threads. I doubt that they are very (or even mildly) optimised for more than a couple of threads (2-4 max) and won't perform in a very 'linear' way if the more you have cores.

Just looking at the memory test though you still see that amd has the edge over intel with HT compared to QPI even if QPI is heck of a nice bit of technology.

You see also the potential of the chip when you push them to the max with something that you could scale to near infinite number of cores to it with pure math benchmarks.

Then again they didn't really test one core vs another so you don't really know which would be the fastest (though most likely intel by a few percent) so your last comment is not true.
Old April 8, 2010, 01:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
Don't compare banana and oranges.

Cores to cores, number of threads to number of threads.

Though if you want to know which is faster than which, well you have to compare whatever you have under your hands whatever the number of cores and threads each cpu have. (like zero's link)
Old April 8, 2010, 01:50 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Still the same number of threads, and Intel with a 400Mhz advantage per core... Hmmmm

Maybe somewhere out there there's actually a comparison that's clock for clock, thread for thread, lol.
So what if it's the same number of threads? You can't compare HT logical cores to real cores in terms of how much can be done with each thread. They're still running on half as many cores as the AMD system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Just looking at the memory test though you still see that amd has the edge over intel with HT compared to QPI even if QPI is heck of a nice bit of technology.
Keep in mind that the AMD system was running quad-channel RAM and the Intel system was running triple-channel. As for the Beckton with its quad-channel memory controller, as stated in the review it looks like there were some issues with the testing methods, because the results just don't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
You see also the potential of the chip when you push them to the max with something that you could scale to near infinite number of cores to it with pure math benchmarks.
Applications with near perfect scaling should theoretically perform much better on the Magny-Cours system because it has more real cores.
Old April 8, 2010, 02:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
So what if it's the same number of threads? You can't compare HT logical cores to real cores in terms of how much can be done with each thread. They're still running on half as many cores as the AMD system.
Well yes and no. If you want to compare the brute speed of both cpu, you don't have much choice here, you have to put them head to head like in your link.

Quote:
Keep in mind that the AMD system was running quad-channel RAM and the Intel system was running triple-channel. As for the Beckton with its quad-channel memory controller, as stated in the review it looks like there were some issues with the testing methods, because the results just don't make sense.
It depends on what went wrong... IMO doing the cinebench and graphical bench test is plain retarded because most of these chips are going to end up either in servers doing 'server stuff' or doing calculation and most likely will not be used in desktops or even maybe workstations.
I might be wrong on that though because if I was anyone who had to do heavy threaded applications I would run AWAY from x86-64 and go with the ultrasparc architecture (that's -heck- of a nice one).

Quote:
Applications with near perfect scaling should theoretically perform much better on the Magny-Cours system because it has more real cores.
Yes... that's granted.
Old April 9, 2010, 02:19 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
For the skeptics: bit-tech.net | Review - Intel Xeon X7560: Nehalem EX Review

114k PPD from a 4-way Beckton machine. 32 cores, 64 threads, running at 2.26GHz.
Ummm...did you bother to check the price of this Intel rig....wow. you could buy a small "new" car for less.
Old April 9, 2010, 06:08 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-Fuzzy View Post
Ummm...did you bother to check the price of this Intel rig....wow. you could buy a small "new" car for less.
I know the price, but like I said, I was talking in terms of straight-up F@H performance. If you want a more valid price comparison, look at the second article I posted, which compares similarly-priced AMD and Intel systems.