Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2010, 12:40 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-Fuzzy View Post
LOL...after 4.5 ghz of 24/7 overclock...for say 6 months, we can have a conversation about which one is running. I think your overclock estimate may be a little optimistic..to say the least. It may pass benchmarks....but 24/7 %100 cpu usage is another thing alltogether.
An i7 980 should have no problem running 4.5GHz 24/7 load no problem w/ a mid range water setup.
Old March 23, 2010, 01:45 PM
Banned
F@H

for some reason intel does better in folding vs amd cache per cache.
Old March 23, 2010, 02:02 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
An i7 980 should have no problem running 4.5GHz 24/7 load no problem w/ a mid range water setup.
I guess it can be done...I guess my point was...there are 8 core version listed at 550 ish, and you could (money not being an object run 4 of them on 1 board. 17 980 is supposed to be good for around 45,000 PPD@4.2 ghz using 8 cores...or so I read 70,000 PPD From Single CPU - OverclockersClub Forums. Adding four more cores will increase it a little...say to 54,000 PPD on the assumption it is already using the physical cores. So 2 8 core AMD cores should be about even...give or take, based on 9 x 4.2 ghz = 37.8, 16 x 2.2 ghz = 35.2...now add 2 more of them= 70.4 should be able to do a frame in about half the time. with that in mind.....155,000 PPD.
K...my logic could have some big holes it it....but it is probably close. A reasonable i7 980 system must be close to $2000....Amd setup....$4000-$5000? for a quad 8 core...depending on ram I guess. And this setup would be not to bad on power...considering the PPD. It would also probably run like this for 2-4 years or longer? Your I7 @ 4.2....aint gonna make it that long
It boils down to how much money are you gonna spend on folding rigs in the next..say 4 years. And are you going to get 150,000 ish PPD out of any of them?

This is just a fun debate....I have mostly Intel in my house.
Old March 23, 2010, 03:27 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

If you want to talk about server CPUs, then take a look at Beckton. It'll eat this for breakfast when it comes to folding.
Old March 23, 2010, 03:29 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
If you want to talk about server CPUs, then take a look at Beckton. It'll eat this for breakfast when it comes to folding.
this is why you never have a discussion with zero. ever.

always has to be best, always has to have the last word. no matter what the subject.
Old March 23, 2010, 03:34 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
this is why you never have a discussion with zero. ever.

always has to be best, always has to have the last word. no matter what the subject.
I'll be nice since you're not a folder, but it's a well-known fact that Intel CPUs (especially Nehalem-based ones) perform considerably better in F@H than AMD CPUs. Beckton with 16 logical cores will almost certainly out-fold Magny-Cours, even with 12 physical cores. Especially with a healthy clock speed advantage.
Old March 23, 2010, 03:43 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Told you so....

/leaving thread.
Old March 23, 2010, 03:52 PM
Banned
F@H

Zero you just demolish the next 4 years budget of the OP
Old March 23, 2010, 04:00 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Told you so....

/leaving thread.
I like how you have nothing to add to the discussion other than to insult me with your posts. If you actually had a reasonable counterargument I'm sure you would have used it, but if you're not going to post something that contributes, next time just don't bother posting at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Zero you just demolish the next 4 years budget of the OP
He's the one who started talking about server CPUs...
Old March 23, 2010, 05:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

When it comes to a point when reasonable people can afford this luxury this thread might have had a point.

As it stands, 6 core is about stretching the limits on what 'normal' people can afford.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com