Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2010, 05:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default GTX470/GTX480 pricing is gonna hurt

AIB partners haven't received Geforce GTX 400 reference designs | IT SHOW 2010 | VR-Zone | Gadgets | PC Enthusiasts

Starting to get more reputable sources at these crazy prices. I've been calling it that the prices will suck and there is mounting proof of this. The really sad part is that this could even cause pricing to rise further in the retail chain since they will have desperate Nvidia fans lining up to buy whatever is released no matter what the final numbers say.

I do believe we are seeing ATI's lowest price right now, better buy now if you plan on it since they will have NO need to drop prices at this rate.
Old February 27, 2010, 05:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

fail pricing. But i suppose after the 40nm debacle, Fermi + the big price war we had with th GTX2** series, this was to be expected.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old February 27, 2010, 06:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For me, I have been calling a $699 launch price all along. Nvidia has never had any issue charging a premium for their newest releases and I just could not see them bucking that trend when they KNOW for certain without a doubt they will EASILY sell every single release card FAST. I bet any card in the retail chain does not last on any shelf anywhere longer than 24 hours after the hard launch.
Old February 27, 2010, 06:17 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

OUCH! I'll hold onto my current setup as long as I can, playing three year old games is paying off for me
Old February 27, 2010, 06:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nope can't do it not at that price i could never bring myself to pay that much for a gpu
Old February 27, 2010, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
nope can't do it not at that price i could never bring myself to pay that much for a gpu
I fondly remember paying $550 for the X850 XT PE AGP back in the day and then sending it to Viper John for another $400 worth of mods. I bought the X1800 on release for over $450. I paid $500 for the HD2900 XT 1GB.

I can find stories from Nvidia guys doing the same with every launch. There is just no doubt in my mind they will all sell FAST.

I do agree that these prices are VERY prohibitive. I haven't bought a launch card since that HD2900 as my days of benching are long past and now I am forced to live with what I have.
Old February 27, 2010, 07:34 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The article is bullshit. Basically, second-tier board partners NEVER get reference boards until quite late in the game. I know of several first-tier partners who have already had boards churning away in their QA labs for the better part of two weeks now.
Old February 27, 2010, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Bullshit or not, can you hoenstly expect ANYONE to believe these prices are wrong? Whether the pricing is quite as high as is being speculated, Nvidia has never had any issues over-pricing the market since they never have problems selling them.

Any way you look at it, we are looking at a paper launch with poor initial availability with high pricing that is not going to change for the foreseeable future. This also DOES mean ATI will not be dropping prices any time soon. Just because primary partners have boards in house does not mean that either availability will be anything short of piss poor and with limited availability we will ABSOLUTELY see stupid pricing.
Old February 27, 2010, 09:18 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Nvidia has never had any issues over-pricing the market since they never have problems selling them.
Can't call it over pricing the market if they sell out. That's called pricing it just right! Oh well it sucks but blame it on enthusiasts with too much damn money to burn.

Old February 27, 2010, 09:39 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Not gonna do it. I just dropped $150 on a second gtx 260 instead. I can play all games at max quality with obscene anisio and aa. This new card will do nothing for my gaming experience. I think I'll get a ps3 instead and play the exclusives like uncharted 2, hard rain and mgs4.