Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2010, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Um last I heard nvidia is selling some of their 200 series cards below cost. Nvidia has sold cards below cost before just to get them out. I have every reason to believe they will be over priced just like every other card that first launches just look at the 5970, 5870, 5850 all over priced. In time as supply levels out I have every reason ro believe nvidia will be competitive or even cheaper than ATI until ATI drops their prices.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old February 27, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Um last I heard nvidia is selling some of their 200 series cards below cost. Nvidia has sold cards below cost before just to get them out. I have every reason to believe they will be over priced just like every other card that first launches just look at the 5970, 5870, 5850 all over priced. In time as supply levels out I have every reason ro believe nvidia will be competitive or even cheaper than ATI until ATI drops their prices.
Hate to tell you, but there is no business out there that will sell a service or merchandise "below cost." There will ALWAYS be profit involve. Period.

Cheaper than ATI? Maybe when pigs fly.
Old February 28, 2010, 05:46 AM
Banned

*sigh*

Looks like ATI for me this time around. A shame.
Old February 28, 2010, 05:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
Hate to tell you, but there is no business out there that will sell a service or merchandise "below cost." There will ALWAYS be profit involve. Period.

Cheaper than ATI? Maybe when pigs fly.

Not true. There is always profit eventually, but lots of products are sold below cost. I believe Xbox360 and PS3 are being sold below cost, but they make their money through controller, game, etc sales. Same with some cars. Some are sold below cost only to have profit through service centres, and some high end "halo cars" are sold below cost with no intention of getting the money back directly, but it improves company image and draws attention and publicity.
Old February 28, 2010, 08:01 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I just find it funny how people will harp on NVIDIA about high prices and yet wasn't it ATI who INCREASED the SRP of the HD 5850, HD 5870 and HD 5970?

HD 5970
Launch SRP: $599
Actual Price today: ~$699

HD 5870
Launch SRP: $399
Actual Price today: ~$410 - $420

HD 5850
Launch SRP: $299
Actual Price today: $330

HD 5770
Launch SRP: $160
Actual Price today: ~$169
Old February 28, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's hopeless to try to point out that Nvidia isn't the only company who wants to make money... Nvidia will always be the big evil corporation.
Old February 28, 2010, 08:28 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Um last I heard nvidia is selling some of their 200 series cards below cost.
nVidia dropped their prices shortly after the GT200 launch because they were selling poorly compared to the 4000 series. The rumour at the time was that they were selling cards at a loss just to maintain market share, but I don't believe that was ever confirmed either way. In any case, if they ever were selling at a loss, that was ages ago, and right now they are most certainly making a profit on every card they sell now, at least as far as manufacturing costs go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
I believe Xbox360 and PS3 are being sold below cost, but they make their money through controller, game, etc sales.
Again, they were, but not for a while now. Their manufacturing costs went down significantly so they were able to start making a profit on the hardware as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I just find it funny how people will harp on NVIDIA about high prices and yet wasn't it ATI who INCREASED the SRP of the HD 5850, HD 5870 and HD 5970?
Was it actually increased, or is that just retailers charging more because they can?
Old February 28, 2010, 08:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Again, they were, but not for a while now. Their manufacturing costs went down significantly so they were able to start making a profit on the hardware as well.
MS still loses money on every console, I don't know about Sony and Nintendo certainly makes a profit. MS makes $10 for every game sold and more for Live, so it makes sense for them to sell it at ~$50 loss (the average attachment rate for games is 7).
Old February 28, 2010, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I believe it will be the e-tailers and NOT Nvidia that will make this an expensive launch. Same goes for ATI right now, the e-tailers are dictating pricing. What is being lost in this discussion is the fact that it is purely the consumer's fault for this pricing. Yes, I DID state that. The problem is that since every single e-tailer out there that can get their hands on any GTX470/480s with 100% certainty knows that there are tons of foolish consumers with more money than brains that will buy these cards before they even get put on a a shelf. This is all simple economics and blaming Nvidia and ATI for it is just not putting the blame where it lies. It lies with consumers lack of restraint and e-tailers for their massive greed.
Old February 28, 2010, 10:10 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
MS still loses money on every console, I don't know about Sony and Nintendo certainly makes a profit. MS makes $10 for every game sold and more for Live, so it makes sense for them to sell it at ~$50 loss (the average attachment rate for games is 7).
I'm pretty sure Microsoft isn't losing money on the 360 hardware anymore, but either way it's not important to this discussion.