Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2010, 10:14 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

NVIDIA will price the 400 series competitively. I won't say more than that.
Old February 27, 2010, 12:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Good because here in Australia cards are like $100-150USD more expensive, so a $700 dollar card would probably be like $850 or more.. I want to move to Canada :(
Old February 27, 2010, 01:12 PM
Banned
F@H

Old February 27, 2010, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

These cards, even at stupid pricing, will sell out to folders before you can blink. Some people have alot of money to throw at folding.

They will sell, regardless of 'competitive' pricing or not. And as I said in the other thread (5830 Review), dont expect ATI's pricing to drop any time soon.

I'm going to sit this gen out, thanks boys and girls.
Old February 27, 2010, 03:59 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Lol if this thing costs $700 US and tax then I won't be in this round. I think Sky has suggested that it won't be this expensive.

It would have to offer some serious PPD for this folder to buy it for $500, since I would have to put a waterblock on it too when available. 50-60K PPD? Yeah, I would have to say I'll still be tempted if the power requirements are sensible. Still would have to see how the thing folds, and how troublesome it is too.

I think there will be lots of negative speculation on Fermi cards until launch, thanks to nVidia's delays. No point in getting worked up over performance or price until we see reviews and cards on the shelf.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 27, 2010, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

$700USD thats just nvidia MSRP. Retailers will probably jack up the price due to shortage. Given the fact that nvidia is ONLY 6 months late for the party .

I think that $670 is base on that bogus site that said they "had" the card
Old February 27, 2010, 04:17 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Lol if this thing costs $700 US and tax then I won't be in this round. I think Sky has suggested that it won't be this expensive.
Look, the MSRP is one thing but I think we all know that every single retail on the face of this planet will feel they need to gouge for the initial run of these cards. As such, I am sure that NVIDIA will get a black eye when those retailers announce their prices.

Does this have anything to do with the actual SRP? No, it will have to do with greed not of NVIDIA but of those who take up the last line in the supply chain.
Old February 27, 2010, 05:04 PM
Allstar

1. buy a 5970
2 laugh for 10 years
3. forget nvidia

/thread
Old February 27, 2010, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Look, the MSRP is one thing but I think we all know that every single retail on the face of this planet will feel they need to gouge for the initial run of these cards. As such, I am sure that NVIDIA will get a black eye when those retailers announce their prices.

Does this have anything to do with the actual SRP? No, it will have to do with greed not of NVIDIA but of those who take up the last line in the supply chain.
This is the problem. Nvidia can tell you guys what THEY want the cards to launch at, but there is not a single salivating board partner OR retailer that will pass on any savings to the end users. You can blame whoever on this one, either way, this card will almost certainly NOT launch at SRP.

For the record, I am not trying to single you out or post confrontationally towards you. I know that there are very few people that are as knowledgeable and as passionate about this stuff as you are. I also know exactly what these cards are supposed to SRP for and such. I hope that what is being spread as rumors is just that, rumors. I just can't help but feel that no matter what one side of this saga states, there are multiple factors and forces that are just gonna make this an ugly expensive launch. Only time will tell who is right and who is wrong.

Last edited by b1lk1; February 27, 2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old February 27, 2010, 07:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Can't blame the retailers though. Who wouldn't sell something for more than its "supposed to sell for" if its still pretty much a guaranteed sale. If nobody bought at marked up prices they wouldn't do it. Problem is there is always people drooling at the doors waiting for the latest and greatest, or that just has too much money and doesn't care.