Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2009, 02:28 PM
Cooler Master USA

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Hopefully you'll read what I wrote somewhere in there lol!
I have to admit you guys have sold me on you're new R4 Fans though. Amazing Fan pitch and design, and pretty darn close to rated specs on a Fluke CFM meter. I think I have offically purchased just south of 30 now for both client builds and my own.
ST
We are pleased that Cooler Master fans have served you well. In fact in 1992 CM started just producing server cooling and fans. In the late 90's we had a great reputation building the quality fans for the various sockets back then. Since we started as a fan company, we are one of the few companies who owns factories that produce fans. What this means for our markets are lower costs to market, lower time to market and wider availability.

"Proprietary" is an unfortunate consequence of being an innovation based company and having internal fan production. Our 230mm and 200mm megaflow type fans were first introduced with our chassis starting with the Cosmos S. From our HAF 922, 932, Cosmos S, ATCS 840 & in some cases Storm Sniper, our 200mm and 230mm are interchangeable without modding. We rarely have the pleasure of sitting down with other chassis companies to create one universal standard that we can all accept so other manufacturer's fans 180/190/200/230mm aren't going to be interchangeable anytime soon.

What this means for the CM 690 II is that for the time being it will only support fans in the standard 80/92/120/140mm sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
I loved my CM690. I supported a dual loop WC system with dual triple rads..
If that didn't say something about the versatility of the design, I don't think anything else would.
Then you will love to know that the CM 690 II Advanced is designed to support up to 10 fans internally including, 2 x 140 inside the chassis top. We found that many modders cut out the chassis mesh for the fan airflow to reduce noise, so we increased the strength of the steel and cut out completely open holes for most of the fan mounting positions including the top. You could install a 280mm radiator up top with 140mm fans without having to blow through stamped grill.

I think I have said too much for now, more later.
Old December 7, 2009, 03:10 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome CM MR HAF, you'll find your company's products are already wildly popular here. Here's hoping you don't give CM detractors any useful ammunition on these forums.
Old December 7, 2009, 05:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Oh they have served me well. As many people know here I am a true Fan critic and I use the true tools of the trade to break down something before I buy it.
That being said, I am happy to hear the insane amount of fan support in the 690 II. I look forward to seeing that, although I do truely hope there is a side panel window somewhere.

I understand that there is a true need for bigger sized fans and such. I just hope if that is the case they are made more available to us the general public. As replacements for the HAF932 were hard to come by.

Thanks for the response, nice to see you around here.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 7, 2009, 06:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

So basically a sexier CM 690 with an all black interior... Hmmm I wonder if they made the front intake fan bigger since you can't see it in any pictures. I wish they would.

Last edited by Polygon; December 7, 2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old December 8, 2009, 05:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM MR HAF View Post
We found that many modders cut out the chassis mesh for the fan airflow to reduce noise, so we increased the strength of the steel and cut out completely open holes for most of the fan mounting positions including the top. You could install a 280mm radiator up top with 140mm fans without having to blow through stamped grill.

You mean like what I did here in the pictures below?

You may THINK you have said too much, but I assure you sir, you haven't!
Are you at liberty to say wether or not there is increased space between the motherboard tray and the back side panel in order to facilitate cable routing and management? That has always been my issue with the current CM690, the lack of space behind the motherboard tray and that "lip".

Also, I notice that the side panel fan placement has changed, specifically the lower fan seems to have been moved back. Do you know what was the reasoning behind that decision was?

Regardless of whether or not you may say more, your posts and time are appreciated.

Cheers!
CutterNuck :)
Attached Images

Old December 8, 2009, 06:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Then you will love to know that the CM 690 II Advanced is designed to support up to 10 fans internally including, 2 x 140 inside the chassis top. We found that many modders cut out the chassis mesh for the fan airflow to reduce noise, so we increased the strength of the steel and cut out completely open holes for most of the fan mounting positions including the top. You could install a 280mm radiator up top with 140mm fans without having to blow through stamped grill.

OH I just did something in my pants

NCIX FORUMS - CM690 Ghetto WC Log

A little log of what I did a year ago with an umodded CM690

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old December 11, 2009, 09:30 AM
Cooler Master USA

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer_2099 View Post
Also, I notice that the side panel fan placement has changed, specifically the lower fan seems to have been moved back. Do you know what was the reasoning behind that decision was?
The design required more airflow over the GPU for better cooling in multiple GPU situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpolyz View Post
So basically a sexier CM 690 with an all black interior... Hmmm I wonder if they made the front intake fan bigger since you can't see it in any pictures. I wish they would.
The front intake fan is bigger.

I think HWC will have a review up soon for the CM 690 II Advanced model , but not the regular version yet. The January 2010 Maximum PC will have pictures of the interiors also.
Old December 11, 2009, 09:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
I think HWC will have a review up soon for the CM 690 II Advanced model , but not the regular version yet. The January 2010 Maximum PC will have pictures of the interiors also.
Awesome! Can't wait to see it. As I've already added this case to my list for my next upgrade.
Old December 11, 2009, 09:55 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Have the power and reset buttons been improved? The ones on the original 690 are a bit cheap.
Old December 11, 2009, 11:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would just like to add how grateful I am that CM, unlike so many others, takes the time to learn from their mistakes. The Cosmos S was a beautiful case (IMO) but seriously flawed in so many ways. But by the time CM came out with the HAF 932 and the ATCS 840, almost all of those mistakes had been remedied. The timing is interesting too insomuch as it creates an obvious juxtaposition with Antec's recently released Six Hundred, which (again, IMO) inherited so many of the mistakes of the original Nine Hundred and seems to show a bit of a regression after Antec had put together some pretty intelligent cases in the Three Hundred and Two Hundred.

Good on ya CM - keep it up! And oh yeah, I'm with ST on the R4's. I recently used five of the green ones in a client build and loved them so much that I bought 16 of the red ones for my own machine.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!