Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   5870x2/5850x2 pictured+confirmed (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/23559-5870x2-5850x2-pictured-confirmed.html)

Cowboy September 25, 2009 10:14 AM

5870x2/5850x2 pictured+confirmed

Last night, my friend and I went to go see "this guy" ( I will not mention his name) about purchasing a few video cards. I had heard that "this guy" had access to unreleased and OEM ATi cards. Turns out he brought with him a 5870x2, a 5850x2, 1 vanilla 5870, and 1 5870 Black edition (which I purchased). He would have brought 2 5870x2's (my friend was looking to buy both), but something went wrong with the second one and "this guy" thought it was defective, so he brought just 1.

Anyways, after talking to "this guy" for a bit, and taking a LOT of pictures with my phone, I bought the 5870 Black edition and my friend went home with nothing because he wanted 2 5870x2's and "this guy" promised that he would find a second one within a week or two. At that time, my friend and I will be benchmarking the crap out of those 2 cards to see what they can do. I'll be posting the results on HWC.

I don't exactly know what is so special about the card I bought, it was the same price as the other one. I can only assume it is different for one reason "it clocks better". I'll see about that once I get working on it.

Details about the 5870x2:

-No idea on clocks still, guy didn't say. I would assume they would be stock 5870 clocks
- The card is 12" long or longer. I could not measure it with anything, but it was significantly longer than the 5870.
- The card uses 1x 6 pin and 1x 8 pin power headers
- It is a 2gb card
- It performs similarly to 2 4870x2's in Quadfire
- The stock cooler is similar in design to the 5870, just looks more "badass".
- No idea on temps, or fan speed/ noise levels since I didn't see it in action
- 2 slot design
- 2 DVI outputs and 1 unknown connector (I am guessing its a "mini display-port" for Eyefinity)

Details on the 5850x2:

-No idea on clocks, however I assume that 5850 stock clocks will be applied
- Card is the same length as the 5870x2
- Card uses the same power connectors as the 5870x2
- No idea on memory capacity
- No idea on performance
- The stock cooler is much different from the 5870 and 5870x2.
- uses two "dualorb" style coolers to cool each of the the gpu's directly and independant of the other
- fan's draw power from solder points on the PCB of the card
- Fans intake air from inside of case and dump heat back in to the case.
- No heatsinks on the memory to cool it down
- 2 slot design
- 2 DVI outputs and 1 unknown connector that is identical to the one found on the 5870x2

Details on the 5870 Black edition:

- same as 5870 vanilla in appearance, save for the replacement of the red accents with black plastic, and it has a glossy black finish as opposed to the more matte black/gray of the "vanilla" version.
-The fan is still red
-There are no ATi logo's on the side of the card, only on the fan is there a sticker that has the ATi logo on it.

PICS COMING SOON!

Cowboy September 25, 2009 10:16 AM

pics

Ok, got watermarks and got them posted on the HWC home page.

ATI Radeon HD 5870 X2 & HD 5850 X2 Images Surface | Hardware Canucks

Enjoy.

mattlef September 25, 2009 10:23 AM

This is an effing tease....:punk:

Cowboy September 25, 2009 10:27 AM

I'm sitting at the clarkson GO station right now, trying to get a stable enough connection to upload the 16 pics I took of these cards.

Bear with me, this is legit.

CMetaphor September 25, 2009 11:07 AM

Where'd "this guy" get these card? 5-finger discount? :haha: Even if he did get them from a legit source, be wary that these cards and more than likely Engineering samples and have probably been abused already somewhere, and have Bioses that will NOT be the same as the retail version. OR I may be totally wrong too, lol. Always an option. :biggrin:

mattlef September 25, 2009 11:13 AM

I would have brought a pipe. lol personally :whistle:

Bojamijams September 25, 2009 11:19 AM

Haha the deal took place in a subway station.. thats awesome..

I need to make friends with Cowboy me thinks

Cowboy September 25, 2009 11:53 AM

Yeah the deal was pretty shady, but the guy came through in the end and these cards are in mint shape when I saw them.

I can't wait to test the one I got :)

steers September 25, 2009 01:06 PM

skeeeeeeeeetch :ph34r:

Gotta admit though man, I'm a little jealous. Sounds like you made out like a bandit.

Cowboy September 25, 2009 01:07 PM

Like a bandit... yeah you could say that. It was a good night for sure.