Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2009, 07:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispex View Post
Though, according to Murphy's Law, the very act of buying a card while banking on using the step-up means that it will be delayed.

Haha I was pretty close to getting a GTX 295 and hoping to step up to a Fermi based card. Glad I held off since Fermi based consumer level cards are still nowhere in sight...
Old November 30, 2009, 07:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I really would be curious where they get their information from or if it's just something they thought of one day and decided to make something up.
It is a 3 billion transistor chip though, so I don't imagine initial yields would be too impressive but yields always improve over time.
Old December 1, 2009, 06:09 PM
Rookie

I just wish they could release something, competition would be nice. Then again, TMSC can't even keep up with 5000 series demand..
Old December 19, 2009, 06:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I don't believe that for a second! Nvidia is as much a corporation as it is a GPU developer, they know good business. If that were the case they'd stop production immediately and find a more efficient way to make the chipset
Old December 23, 2009, 07:59 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I know you guys love in Inq but this is something to look at:
Nvidia's fermi gpu gets cut back - The Inquirer

225W?
Fold for team #54196
Old December 23, 2009, 08:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

That information is from nVidia white paper on some Fermi-based Tesla cards.
Old December 23, 2009, 10:34 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I know you guys love in Inq but this is something to look at:
Nvidia's fermi gpu gets cut back - The Inquirer

225W?
That is just a ridiculous amount of heat. If the GPUs will really use 225W each, I think there's a good chance we won't see a dual-GPU card from nVidia this generation; at least not before a die shrink.
Old December 23, 2009, 10:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
That is just a ridiculous amount of heat. If the GPUs will really use 225W each, I think there's a good chance we won't see a dual-GPU card from nVidia this generation; at least not before a die shrink.
lol, die shrink? They cant even get it out the door at 40nm, let alone start thinking about low 30nm.

I guess ATI's strategy of scaling archetecture is the correct one, and nVidias "Monolithic" is piss poor...atleast this round. Can we even call it a round if they dont release a card?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 23, 2009, 11:28 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
lol, die shrink? They cant even get it out the door at 40nm, let alone start thinking about low 30nm.
Oh, you can bet for certain that 32nm and smaller processes are already well on their way. It takes years to develop a manufacturing process to the point where you can actually mass-produce ICs.
Old December 23, 2009, 11:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry man, you misunderstood what I ment, I wasnt very clear. I'm saying that full scale, retail production of 40nm parts just started this year, and this thing isnt even working on that. I think worrying about ~30nm comming out is the least of their concerns heh
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about