Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   SSD slashed by 50% Q4 2009 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/18499-ssd-slashed-50-q4-2009-a.html)

artistpavel June 1, 2009 01:36 PM

SSD slashed by 50% Q4 2009

I hope they could pull it off with new type of flash controller:

Gizmodo - JMicron NAND Flash Controller Could Slash SSD Prices By 50% - Storage

MpG June 1, 2009 02:08 PM

That picture looks like a RAM drive more than anything? And the controllers haven't been a major component of SSD costs lately. Any 50% price cut is going happen mostly due to NAND process shrinkage and corresponding price cuts, not some new controller. And JMicron's really drug their own name through the mud lately - they've got some redeeming to do.

bojangles June 1, 2009 02:18 PM

Definitely the wrong picture. That's like an I-RAM card. JMicron has made an IC called the JMF612 that performs better than the Samsung and Indilinx drives for a cheaper price, which should drive down costs a bit. On top of that, it's the 32 nm NAND flash memory from Samsung that will drive the prices down considerably. We just have to wait for the silicon yields to get better, where we should see fairly reasonable prices at the beginning of 2010 I would say, especially in the current economic times.

AkG June 1, 2009 02:47 PM

While I would love to see JM become a true contender in SSD controller world (more options is always better!)....I'll believe it when I see it. In the mean time I'll stick to Sammy, Indilinx or Intel based ones. And in all likely hood by the time JM get a sudden rush of brains to the head.....new gens from the "Big 3" will be out ;)

Chilly June 1, 2009 03:07 PM

I'm not going to trust this JM controller till I see the results first. They dropped the ball badly the first time around.

JupiterTrooper September 7, 2009 11:57 AM

Yeah I really hope to see SSD's prices slashed soon. I have been thinking of getting one for my PC, but at the current cost and my lack of money due to education costs I just can't swing it. I am sure though that within the next year or two NAND will take off and we might see the end of the current SSD's in favour of NAND or something similar.

r0bc September 7, 2009 01:14 PM

I really wish prices would come down a lot.
I just ordered(when I say just I mean over a month ago) 2 second gen Intel's...1 for my wife's laptop and another for me and it cost over a $1000, that's alittle crazy.

martin_metal_88 September 7, 2009 02:09 PM

It would be good that SSD drop in price. A friend of mine have a friend wich work at OCZ canada and he tell us that the price of the memory was because apple is buying all the memory. Just burn Ipod and get more SSD on the market! imagine intel X-25 80GB at 150$$ how it would be AWESOME!

Ask for more.

Cowboy September 8, 2009 08:55 AM

Or just burn apple? hehe.

bojangles September 8, 2009 12:06 PM

It's true. Samsung is working overtime just to keep up with the orders for Apple's iPods and iPhones. It's really disgusting. This needs to change!