Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   Here's something i7 users might not want to hear... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/18336-heres-something-i7-users-might-not-want-hear.html)

bojangles May 28, 2009 04:44 AM

Here's something i7 users might not want to hear...
 
bit-tech.net | Intel to discontinue Core i7 920 & 940 CPUs

Looks like they might be putting i7 products to workstations because i5 will perform almost on par to the low end 920 and 940.

Whatever, I'm more than happy with my i7 machine...:thumb:

ChuckleBrother May 28, 2009 07:46 AM

Gotta love their constant socket hopping. Luckily most of us here with i7 builds are sitting on machines that we can run with for the next 2-3 years, and those who don't hold onto rigs that long would have spent the money regardless. I still really do not see the logic behind a new socket with chips that are on par with what they already have, someone needs to explain the thought here, what are they hoping to achieve?

SKYMTL May 28, 2009 07:59 AM

If true, that's just brutal. It also explains why mobo manufacturers have been pimping their high end P55 boards already. It also spells the end of budget friendly X58 boards.

FiXT May 28, 2009 08:35 AM

Gotta love how they release $350+ x58 boards FIRST for months, as the ONLY option for i7 adopters, to squeeze the cash from consumers....
When P55 is litterally based on the exact same thing and is cheaper... but they want to release it 6 months down the road instead of debutting it at the same time.

gingerbee May 28, 2009 08:41 AM

wait and see is the best approach cause even intel does not no where there future lies.tick tock is it coming back to haunt them

cadaveca May 28, 2009 08:44 AM

I don't know why everyone is so surprised...i7 was to total less than 10% of cpus shipped this year, and less than 2% last year. As such, this was in no way a mainstream product, nor was it expected to have a long lifespan...i7 is the new SkullTrail...and i5 is the mainstream platform.


This is why I decided to skip i7, and move away form Intel-based machines, as thier platform strategy didn't look good to me, as a person that continually upgrades.


I know I play the fanboy alot, but my complaints about i7 are based almost purely on this fact...that i7 was no differnt, and didn't offer any more, than what is currently out. The fact they managed to eke out more performance than Phenom 2 saved thier butts, and given how close the two platforms are, and AMD's APM system, Intel's i7 could become the lesser cpu very quickly...depending on how successful Phenom 2 is.


And maybe me pimping AM3 makes a bit of sense now, as it's clear that AM3 is just going to grow it's line-up; I jsut hope development of i5 boards doesn't affect RS880-based chipset products.

MpG May 28, 2009 09:57 AM

I'm inclined to agree, actually. Fact is, i7 was basically an opportunity for people to play with a (slightly) server-spec chipset and processor, getting those tiny little extra gains that were to be had. I mean, what kind of desktop setup actually needs triple-channel memory?

[/shrug] I knew that when I spent the money. Besides, the boards offered were fantastic, and the 920's a great proc, and the couple bucks for the SLI license wasn't too bad. The real money pit was what a lot of people paid for their memory, and that's just how things have always worked.

enaberif May 28, 2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadaveca (Post 201423)
I don't know why everyone is so surprised...i7 was to total less than 10% of cpus shipped this year, and less than 2% last year. As such, this was in no way a mainstream product, nor was it expected to have a long lifespan...i7 is the new SkullTrail...and i5 is the mainstream platform.


This is why I decided to skip i7, and move away form Intel-based machines, as thier platform strategy didn't look good to me, as a person that continually upgrades.


I know I play the fanboy alot, but my complaints about i7 are based almost purely on this fact...that i7 was no differnt, and didn't offer any more, than what is currently out. The fact they managed to eke out more performance than Phenom 2 saved thier butts, and given how close the two platforms are, and AMD's APM system, Intel's i7 could become the lesser cpu very quickly...depending on how successful Phenom 2 is.


And maybe me pimping AM3 makes a bit of sense now, as it's clear that AM3 is just going to grow it's line-up; I jsut hope development of i5 boards doesn't affect RS880-based chipset products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 201476)
I'm inclined to agree, actually. Fact is, i7 was basically an opportunity for people to play with a (slightly) server-spec chipset and processor, getting those tiny little extra gains that were to be had. I mean, what kind of desktop setup actually needs triple-channel memory?

[/shrug] I knew that when I spent the money. Besides, the boards offered were fantastic, and the 920's a great proc, and the couple bucks for the SLI license wasn't too bad. The real money pit was what a lot of people paid for their memory, and that's just how things have always worked.

Exactly.

I mean this is nothing new of multiple sockets with Intel I mean we've always had 775 and 771 so now we'll have i7 and i5.

Also if anyone had bothered to research they would have known that i5 was coming out shortly after i5 and that a few early tests showed that the i5 performed as well as the i7 did.

I've also stated MANY times that i7 would become the new server type chip and the i5 would become the desktop equivalent.

All you early adopters to i7 were simply guinea pigs that spent way to much money for something that if you had waited like myself and others you could have gotten the same performance for cheaper.

somecanadianguy May 28, 2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 201515)
All you early adopters to i7 were simply guinea pigs that spent way to much money for something that if you had waited like myself and others you could have gotten the same performance for cheaper.

I hope that sounds worse than you actually meant it.
There's no need to make people feel bad about their systems... that just sucks!
I'm happy with my i7, and I don't have to wait until i5, so why try to ruin it?

enaberif May 28, 2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somecanadianguy (Post 201518)
I hope that sounds worse than you actually meant it.
There's no need to make people feel bad about their systems... that just sucks!
I'm happy with my i7, and I don't have to wait until i5, so why try to ruin it?

If you feel bad from what I said then perhaps you have a guilty conscience for over spending?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:18 AM.