Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2009, 12:16 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Early adopters usually overpay for the performance they get IMO. However there is the novelty factor of playing with new technology that people are paying for. If this novelty is not important to you, then you will have a hard time understanding why people pay the money they do.

I can tell you that I covet the folding performance of the i7 rigs compared to my OC Q6600, and I would love some shiny new PC parts to play around with.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 28, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

and here i am thinking about upgrading my other box to i7 soon or at least this summer. (very happy with my i7)
Old May 28, 2009, 01:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Even if it will be phased out, I have no doubt that i7 will stick in the enthusiast market purely because board makers have had a longer amount of time with the x58 chipset, and in the early days of i5 it will probably be a bit more stable(just my guess based on past trends).

Either way, I at least hope they keep the same retention hole spacing, if they change even that I will be pissed(we do NOT need more mounting bracket hardware on the market people!).
Old May 28, 2009, 01:57 PM
Top Prospect

Not really news unless a socket / chipset support is discontinued. Some possible scenarios that might be troublesome:
1. New LGA1366 CPUs made to require ECC RAM. Meaning most existing I7 users couldn't just update the CPUs without updating RAM.
2. New LGA1366 CPUs require new chipsets
3. If new LGA1366 boards lose SLI.. meaning SLI users limited to boards with early LGA1366 chipset revisions.

That said.. in some ways early I7 adopters may have benefited through high OC results, etc.. as I would be very surpised if Intel would allow a new CPUs on a budget socket line to OC and outperform costlier CPUs on a concurrent higher end socket line.

Also safe bet that six and eight core Intel CPUs will be on I7 and not on I5.
Old May 28, 2009, 02:17 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
Also safe bet that six and eight core Intel CPUs will be on I7 and not on I5.

Man, you post some good stuff, you know? I had nearly forgotten about these chips...

Is the drop of the quads a heralding of how well these "future" chips are coming? If so, AMD may just slide into nothingness...
Old May 28, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

very good points futures
Old May 28, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Man, you post some good stuff, you know? I had nearly forgotten about these chips...

Is the drop of the quads a heralding of how well these "future" chips are coming? If so, AMD may just slide into nothingness...
yeah, binnings of i5's and 'new' i7's comming out really well and mature this early could pass off into bad news for AMD.

Could you imagine if the 920's going Do-Do is because 6 and 8 cores are going to be the replacement at the higher end, and they already know this?

i7 may not be the EOL some people are saying it is from this news...Maybe the opposite?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 28, 2009, 04:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Okay just because one article says something makes it truth. i5 I am betting will still be the medium-low and i7 will be high-medium. i5 probably wont have as good of mobos and probably wont have SLI and crossfire on one. i5 I am better on my life will be slower then i7. Never would anyone create a lower cheaper brand that is faster. It would be like if Nvidia created a GTX 160 that cost only 80 bucks but beats the GTX 285. Wouldn't happen.

Also enaberif I and like many others are enjoying our comps NOW and not have to wait. Hey I hear that in 6 months after you purchase your i5 that something cheaper faster is coming out. You should wait for that.

Man back in the day I wish I didn't wait when the 8800 GTX came out and should have bought one because they had over 2 years of top performance.

Anyways i7 still has higher end chips comming out. And if i5 has a cpu that beats the 920 then so be it. Atleast I have been enjoying my system and know that intel is going to support it for at least a few years because of their road map. Also if there is an i5 920 then that will be their absolute top end model.

I will say it again. i5 will not beat i7 in performance.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 28, 2009, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bah, this entire thread and not a soul has mentioned the i7 930, 950, or 970, sure they are the same as their lower binned chips with higher multi's..

That and D0 920's are pretty much taking the cake right now...

i7 will be around for a long time, it's just funny to watch those who don't have think they have over those who do for once... ehh

it's all just speculation!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 28, 2009, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is funny.

Why would I compare what I spent to get my i7 rig in December to what someone spends in 4 or 5 months or whatever on an i5 rig? I've had my i7 rig for 5 months now and it's been going strong and running well. I like it and it's fun to play with.

Sure, something will come out that's cheaper and performs better eventually. That always happens. If I decided to wait for that...well...I'd be waiting forever.

This rig will do me for quite some time and hey, it's only money after all