Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2007, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default X38 will do SLI: L'Inq

I don't know what to make of this Intel SLI debate, but it's hard to glean the facts from this ongoing shit-slinging festival between L'Inq and NVidia- well NVidia isn't so much slinging caca, as ignoring them. If it were true, I can see why NVidia would want to keep a lid on this until the X38 is released- because if people knew that the x38 were going to have sli, they wouldn't sell too many more of their own chipsets in the meantime.

We didn't think it could be possible, but their standing dropped even further when we found out that Intel's upcoming X38 chipset will do SLI.
Now we are sure that NV will deny it up and down, but seeing as how they have trouble with anything relating to the truth, I would urge the reader to ignore them. The engineers tell us that SLI drivers are in the final state of polishing with a few bugs left to quash, but plenty of time remains to finish things up.

More from the Inquirer
Old August 25, 2007, 04:15 PM
Rookie

That would be awesome, especially with 9800 GTX's in November...
I had an feeling with proper nforce drivers and sli bridge connector it would work with X38....
Old August 25, 2007, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

This coming from the inquirer I'll wait to see before I believe it. x38 is another rumored crossfire setup so we'll see.
Old August 27, 2007, 12:51 PM
Associate Review Editor

Actually, a little over 2 weeks ago, there was confirmation that X38 will not support SLI.
Old August 27, 2007, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would be shocked to see any chipset besides Nvidia's allowing SLI.
Old September 19, 2007, 10:00 PM
Associate Review Editor

We've got SLI baby!

Quote:
Update: We've just got word that Intel (and perhaps some of their partners) will be using an nForce MCP on some of their X38 based motherboards, and it's these boards that will support SLI.
Source.
Old September 19, 2007, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
We've got SLI baby!

Source.
I hope this is honest to god true! OH MAN! What will nvidia do for their next board?
Old September 20, 2007, 04:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I hope this is honest to god true! OH MAN! What will nvidia do for their next board?
crossfire??? :)

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old September 20, 2007, 05:10 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I think this may be somewhat of a pipe dread. The X38 chipset is supposed to support Crossfire and while adding an nforce MCP IS possible, it will add to the cost like you wouldn't believe.

Also, just because it was used at an IDF keynote, it does not mean it will become a reality just yet.

IMO, Crossfire AND SLI are possible on the same board but the cost would be prohibitive.
Old September 20, 2007, 07:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I think this may be somewhat of a pipe dread. The X38 chipset is supposed to support Crossfire and while adding an nforce MCP IS possible, it will add to the cost like you wouldn't believe.

Also, just because it was used at an IDF keynote, it does not mean it will become a reality just yet.

IMO, Crossfire AND SLI are possible on the same board but the cost would be prohibitive.
The new Blackbird has this feature, they allowed the Striker board to use SLI or Crossfire.