Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2007, 11:53 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The mobos manufacturers would use it as a marketing gimmick and jack up the prices of their mobos WAY above what we see now.

I mean what do you think is the markup on an Asus RoG mobo? I would say between 50-60%. Now think that manufacturers would only implement this on their uber-high-end models and I can imagine those mobos going for very close to $500-$550 a pop.
Old September 20, 2007, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

SLI and Crossfire can be "hacked" on a driver level to work, and HP most likely paid a stupid amount of money to all 3 manufacturers to "unlock" SLI/Crossfire on the same chipset. I have to agree with SKYMTL on this. There is no way you'll see a mainstream retail motherboard that will support both, and we are even less likely to ever see an Intel chipset officially support SLI. It just won't happen unless a mainboard manufacturer decides to pay the 3 majors some serious dough to allow it. OEM, yes. Retail, no.
Old September 20, 2007, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The mobos manufacturers would use it as a marketing gimmick and jack up the prices of their mobos WAY above what we see now.

I mean what do you think is the markup on an Asus RoG mobo? I would say between 50-60%. Now think that manufacturers would only implement this on their uber-high-end models and I can imagine those mobos going for very close to $500-$550 a pop.
Yes and if they made a $600 motherboard you know as well as I do that people would buy it.
Old September 20, 2007, 02:55 PM
Associate Review Editor

Asus can charge whatever they like, but the fact of the matter is, we always have Gigabyte

All I know is that if this news is true, Intel gave Nvidia a pretty sweet FSB licensing deal.
Old September 20, 2007, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't think the market would support it bit I am sure there are some lunatics out there that would spend it.
Old September 20, 2007, 03:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Asus can charge whatever they like, but the fact of the matter is, we always have Gigabyte

All I know is that if this news is true, Intel gave Nvidia a pretty sweet FSB licensing deal.
I've lost a lot of faith in Gigabyte.
Old September 20, 2007, 03:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure that a ton of money would be involved for licensing SLI onto an intel chipset board.

Now that ATI is partially back in the game, every intel chipset board sold is one that Nvidia won't be selling a second vid card for.

Many folks are still sold on intel chipsets for intel CPUs, and Nvidia's gotta be hurting a bit since their main sellers for chipsets have been AMD CPUs.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old September 29, 2007, 07:21 PM
Rookie

It has nothing to do with costs...NVIDIA simply will not license SLI to other chipset providers. SLI is their ecosystem. This will continue to be the case in the future, even though NVIDIA and Intel have long been in talks for NVIDIA to supply the enthusiast grade boards for Intel's own branded products as well as provide chipsets for the entry level Intel branded boards that ATI had previously provided. SLI is only a driver level lockout, it has nothing to do with the southbridge.