Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29, 2009, 10:18 PM
Top Prospect

Post Intel X58 SLGMX (B3 Stepping) News! * SPOILER ALERT *

Just a warning that the following news might put a wrench on the upgrade plans of some folks..

Folks may have heard the news release Feb 09 that Intel revised their X58 chipset SLGBT (B2) to SLGMX (B3) stepping with initial chip production April 09.

Out of curiousity I asked Gigabyte Support when might we expect boards with the X58 B3 stepping.

My Question:

"Considering building a number of computers using Gigabyte EX58 Extreme or UD5 motherboards. I understand Intel has revised their x58 chipset from SLGBT (B2) to SLGMX (B3). When should we expect Gigabyte to introduce this revision. And what date stamp / serial numbers would identify boards with the SLGMX B3 chips"

I was surprised to receive (within a couple days I might add) the following response:

"It will only apply to the newer release boards for X58 chipset of an different model. Those information will be available on the fall release, please check back during that time frame."

* May 5, 2009 - Added B3 information to first post.

Went over Intel's X58 Express Chipset Specification Update PDF and outlined what I BELIEVE the B3 stepping fixes.

See the attached PDF..

Green = Fixed in B3 stepping
Yellow = No Fix Needed or Intended
Rose = No Fix as of yet

Intel's original document:
http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/320839.pdf

Other Intel X58 Technical Documents:
Intel X58 Express chipset - Technical Documents
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Intel_X58_IOH_B3.pdf (13.2 KB, 1098 views)

Last edited by futures; May 5, 2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: consolidating information
Old April 30, 2009, 06:36 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

One way or another, I don't think a chipset revision will do much to performance or overclocking.
Old April 30, 2009, 07:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, for the most part, it really doesn't seem to the chipset that's holding the clocks back. If efficiency/heat is improved, nothing wrong with that. But I haven't seen any reports suggesting that this should be reason to wait for it, and if there was a significant difference, we'd likely see a new code designation given (i.e. X68).
Old April 30, 2009, 10:18 AM
Top Prospect

There's really been no solid news what this B3 stepping resolves. The opinion is it may be something to do with better stability in..
1. PCIe I/O
2. Some S3 sleep thing..

What seems reasonable is that Intel wouldn't have initiated a stepping change of their X58 chipset for no reason.

I'm also a little suspicious with what the Gigabyte Support rep said as it makes no sense.. since the B3 stepping is a pin compatible replacment, this would mean that B3 should end up on current line motherboards as the B2 chips run out.

IMHO.. unless Intel overproduced X58 B2 chipsets.. unlikely.. since B3 replacement started early April.. there's no reason why they shouldn't be in boards assembled this summer.
Old May 1, 2009, 01:16 PM
Top Prospect

Default P6T7

Looking at motherboards for my work system. Looks like Asus has this P6T7 WS SuperComputer (roll eyes) down the pipe. Announced March 2009. Hasn't hit retail yet but I'm betting it will have the X58 B3.

Guessing they announced early (vaporware) to slow down EVGA Classified momentum. Would love to hear what Gigabyte has in the works.

P6T7 has two NF200 chips.. wonder if Nvidia is in trouble and they're giving away these chips lol.

Last edited by futures; May 1, 2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old May 4, 2009, 02:13 PM
Top Prospect

Default Possibe B3 fix list

Alright, took the time to go over Intel's updated X58 Express Chipset Specification Update PDF and outlined what I BELIEVE the B3 stepping fixes.

See the attached PDF..

Green = Fixed in B3 stepping
Yellow = No Fix Needed or Intended
Rose = No Fix as of yet

Intel's original document:
http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/320839.pdf

Other Intel X58 Technical Documents:
Intel X58 Express chipset - Technical Documents

Again, my attached PDF is just a verbatim of Intel's document highlighting portions I believe relevent to the B3 stepping changes.

I'm not an engineer so have no idea what most of the stuff means.. except it does seem like there are some useful fixes along with a crap load of issues either not yet fixed or no fixed intended.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Intel_X58_IOH_B3.pdf (13.2 KB, 536 views)
Old May 15, 2009, 01:39 PM
Trial Member

Thanks for the highlighted info consolidation. I have emailed Intel as to find out what major errata fixes have been made since the B-2stepping. I'm sure the information will become of use to those wanting to know the specifics, though I don't think we will see any performance benefits as mentioned previously.
Old May 15, 2009, 03:42 PM
Top Prospect

May be improvements if the B3 stepping has any thermal / voltage improvements. An arguement for is that the B3 announcement came about the same time the I7 920 D0 stepping first started popping up. The I7 D0's "appear" to have thermal / voltage improvements over I7 C0 steppings..
Old June 4, 2009, 03:30 PM
Top Prospect

Checking for B3...

Couldn't hold out any longer so I ordered and just received a Gigabyte EX58 Extreme with markings indicating manufactured (or packaging) date of 20th week of 2009 (roughly mid May 2009). Can't afford to risk removing the large heatsink covering the X58 chipset. I'm hoping once assembled, CPU-Z might be able to tell.

I presume it would or should be in CPU-Z > Mainboard > Chipset Rev. field.

All X58 CPU-Z Mainboard screenshots I've seen show Rev 12 (really 1.2). I'm presuming B3 will be something other than 12 (1.2), likely 13 (1.3).

I encourage others who've purchased X58 mainboards recently to post their CPU-Z mainboard screens for comparison purposes. Its also possible that CPU-Z or the at least the current revision can't yet tell the difference between X58 B2 and B3 steppings.
Old June 15, 2009, 07:50 PM
Top Prospect

Still haven't gotten around to assembling my I7 system. However, helped a buddy assemble his on a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 board also date stamped 20th week of 2009 (roughly mid May 2009).

CPU-Z > Mainboard > Chipset Revision shows up as 12.

Based on other boards, X58 Revision 12 is believed to be 1.2 aka B2.

Considering the original e-mail response from Gigabyte and the recent news regarding Gigabyte's X58 motherboard refresh (EX58 to EX58A). Seems likely there will be NO Gigabyte EX58 motherboards with X58 B3 steppings. The B3 stepping seems destined for the new EX58A refresh.

Smart... new SKUs could help prevent unwarranted RMAs, etc.

Expect the same from other manufacturers.

Nice specs on the EX58A-UD5 and Extremes.
* Specs states 12 SATAs.
* But I only see 5 internal headers.
* My guess is 10 internal and 2 eSATA.

Last edited by futures; June 16, 2009 at 12:19 AM.