Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2009, 11:05 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Reviewers thread a very thin line: if we bash a product, we are less likely to get samples in the future while if we praise, everyone loves us. In the end, it is a constant balancing act where no one wins.

I said this over at XS and I will say it here:

If the rumors are correct, any website with enough PhysX and CUDA reviews to satisfy Nvidia will have a GTS 250 review up. If the rumors are incorrect then many more sites will have reviews.

IMO, at this point it will be won't be interesting to see who publishes reviews but rather who publishes HONEST reviews.
Old February 23, 2009, 11:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Reviewers thread a very thin line: if we bash a product, we are less likely to get samples in the future while if we praise, everyone loves us. In the end, it is a constant balancing act where no one wins.

I said this over at XS and I will say it here:

If the rumors are correct, any website with enough PhysX and CUDA reviews to satisfy Nvidia will have a GTS 250 review up. If the rumors are incorrect then many more sites will have reviews.

IMO, at this point it will be won't be interesting to see who publishes reviews but rather who publishes HONEST reviews.
Keeping in mind the source (this is still rumour stage), I'm not so concerned about who does and doesn't get a review card as I am about the cherry picked parts which are supposedly being handed out. Even those sites which try to produce an honest review won't be able to do so.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 23, 2009, 11:30 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Well, I guess if you are a smart reviewer you should choose your words in the 'cherry-picked' review carefully. Then, as cards become available in retail, obtain another card or two and compare results. This is not high-end parts we are talking about here, so I think the parts should be easily obtained for such a test. I guess the major problem with this would be the regular variances in chips, but I think the truth will come out in the forums and on a reviewer site or two. If time and budget allows it could be an interesting article if the political flack could be tolerated.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 23, 2009, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The review system is somewhat flawed anyways. I am sure glad I review only cases, peripherals and hard drives. I keep all my reviews honest and if someone won't send me more product because of it so be it. They are not doing me any favors. Sadly, Motherboard, CPU and graphics card reviews are what gets hits and that is all that really "sells" as far as reviews go for websites that publish reviews. While we don't get paid directly to do reviews, advertising revenue for the site publishing the review does generate someone income. I am not surprised to see Nvidia doing this as much as they are losing their ability to hide the fact the are doing this. Intel has also handed out cherries before to sites I won't name. This is all advertising people. Even bad press is free press.
Old February 23, 2009, 12:01 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Keeping in mind the source (this is still rumour stage), I'm not so concerned about who does and doesn't get a review card as I am about the cherry picked parts which are supposedly being handed out. Even those sites which try to produce an honest review won't be able to do so.
Yes and no. It is up to the reviewer to be honest and research the situation which is happening with the memory clocks of the cards they receive and the ones which will be available at retail. Picking up a card and running it through benchmarks is easy; getting a card and researching its future place in the market another thing alltogether for many sites.
Old February 23, 2009, 12:05 PM
Banned
F@H

I still see G92 as a decent chip, which will meet the needs of many people, so while I detest the re-brand, I can understand it as well. The chip isn't obsolete...not yet, anyway.

However...price difference? Performance difference? Is the rename accurate given others in the 2xxGTx line?

What about an AMD-nV merger......I'm hearing a bit too much about this...

Thanks for giving me the chance to speak guys, I'm outta this thread.

Old February 23, 2009, 05:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Well, I guess if you are a smart reviewer you should choose your words in the 'cherry-picked' review carefully. Then, as cards become available in retail, obtain another card or two and compare results. This is not high-end parts we are talking about here, so I think the parts should be easily obtained for such a test. I guess the major problem with this would be the regular variances in chips, but I think the truth will come out in the forums and on a reviewer site or two. If time and budget allows it could be an interesting article if the political flack could be tolerated.
Unfortunately with the shear quantity of items out there this quickly becomes unsustainable.

It's one thing to do a review on a piece of kit you've purchased for your own use, it's quite another to go out and buy stuff just for the sake of a review. Just keeping a reviewer's testbed reasonably current (readers expect to see how stuff performs on a fairly new rig) is expensive enough.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm complaining... I'm not. Getting new gear to test out is pretty cool! :) I'm just trying to point out that there is a limit to how much a reviewer can do without support from the manufacturers.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 23, 2009, 05:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree with that. Even my P45/QX9650 PC is now a dinosaur in the grand scheme of things. I would hate to have to keep current to do CPU/GPU/motherboard reviews.
Old February 23, 2009, 05:55 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Unfortunately with the shear quantity of items out there this quickly becomes unsustainable.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm complaining... I'm not. Getting new gear to test out is pretty cool! :) I'm just trying to point out that there is a limit to how much a reviewer can do without support from the manufacturers.
For sure Steve I know you are not complaining . I understand the problems with doing what I have proposed, and I am surprised it was not shot down earlier. Will be an interesting article nonetheless if somebody put one together. We will probably have to settle for forum comparisons from enthusiasts, which would add a 'few' more variables to say the least.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 23, 2009, 06:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
For sure Steve I know you are not complaining . I understand the problems with doing what I have proposed, and I am surprised it was not shot down earlier. Will be an interesting article nonetheless if somebody put one together. We will probably have to settle for forum comparisons from enthusiasts, which would add a 'few' more variables to say the least.
I'm quite sure with all of the stink raised by this particular instance that some sites will be more than willing to come up with the funds to do a review on their own... :)