Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2009, 01:56 PM
Rookie

I was under the impression that the 6 core westmere will be lga-1366 which means drop in for all current i7 users and that the i5 will be the cheaper mainstream quad core. I am not sure if this is correct just what I have gathered. Can anyone confirm if this is correct or not?
Old June 27, 2009, 02:20 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispex View Post
It was a chart of stable clocks and voltages. At 1.3V (note that the i7's require 1.35-ish), this little beastie was pumping 5GHz. Stable.
i7s don't require that much voltage at all. The new i7 975 is 1.225v max and most of the chips I've seen can get almost to 4.0GHz on stock voltages.

Old June 27, 2009, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sigh...

And here I'm sitting with my PHII, flirting with almost 1.6v just to get 3.9 stable... C'MON AMD!!!

Old June 27, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey, Cowboy, don't worry about it. Us i7 users have to deal with the fact that Intel is a criminal monopoly and kills babies for fun.
Old June 27, 2009, 02:34 PM
Rookie

so is there any expected time of release for these 6 core processors in the works?
Old June 27, 2009, 03:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Hey, Cowboy, don't worry about it. Us i7 users have to deal with the fact that Intel is a criminal monopoly and kills babies for fun.

Haha that made me feel better.

Old June 27, 2009, 04:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i heard 6 core for 1366 will be out by q1 of 2010
Old June 27, 2009, 04:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
Sigh...

And here I'm sitting with my PHII, flirting with almost 1.6v just to get 3.9 stable... C'MON AMD!!!
Flash your BIOS and get a 955. Much higher Headroom. Heck I've seen two showings with my 810 at 4.2. I think the AM3's have potential. And correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the PII have the OC record right now?

On another note, the AMD Opteron's already have their six core Istanbul out :)

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 30, 2009, 06:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

this was back in 2006, what's taking PC's so long to catch up.lol

At the heart of the PlayStation 3 lie two very powerful processors. One, the main processor, is a new chip called Cell that was developed for use in the console by SCEI, its parent company Sony Corp., Toshiba Corp. and IBM Corp. The chip is based on IBM's PowerPC architecture and will have seven cores, each running at 3.2GHz, to give the chip a total performance of 218GFlops (floating point operations per second).
That's 35 times the performance of the processor inside the current PlayStation 2, according to Koichiro Katsurayama, a spokesman for SCEI in Tokyo.
Running alongside the Cell will be a graphics processor developed by Nvidia Corp. that is capable of handling full high-definition images and boasts performance of 1.8TFlops. Together, the two chips will give the PlayStation 3 a total system performance of 2TFlops, or about double that claimed by Microsoft for the Xbox 360. I wonder what NASA is using
Old June 30, 2009, 06:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatcards View Post
this was back in 2006, what's taking PC's so long to catch up.lol

At the heart of the PlayStation 3 lie two very powerful processors. One, the main processor, is a new chip called Cell that was developed for use in the console by SCEI, its parent company Sony Corp., Toshiba Corp. and IBM Corp. The chip is based on IBM's PowerPC architecture and will have seven cores, each running at 3.2GHz, to give the chip a total performance of 218GFlops (floating point operations per second).
That's 35 times the performance of the processor inside the current PlayStation 2, according to Koichiro Katsurayama, a spokesman for SCEI in Tokyo.
Running alongside the Cell will be a graphics processor developed by Nvidia Corp. that is capable of handling full high-definition images and boasts performance of 1.8TFlops. Together, the two chips will give the PlayStation 3 a total system performance of 2TFlops, or about double that claimed by Microsoft for the Xbox 360. I wonder what NASA is using

Probably the same Western Digital Calculator they used in the 60's.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com