F@H

My System Specs

about time we got some info on them
Old February 20, 2009, 12:06 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Lets read that article again, shall we?

"RV790XT is expected to be priced between US$199 to US$249, up to $150 cheaper than the GeForce GTX 285"

I don't think its competing with the GTX 285... (the OC edition the one expected at $299 before you say anything)
To rooster's credit it does say this though
Quote:
AMD is reportedly telling its partners that the RV790XT is expected to be around 20% faster than the RV770XT (HD 4870), and has NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 285 in its sights, for head-on competition.
There seems to be alot of contradictions between those articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
How is an overclocked 4870 (which the 4890 is) going to compete with the GTX 285 in terms of performance? You need more than a 30% boost to even match the GTX 285.
Now I might be wrong, but if it truly is effectively 30% faster than the 4870 in real world applications, then that would make this card faster, if not equally as fast as a gtx285 wouldn't it? Or maybe they just mean the clocks are 30% faster than the reference 4870. The gap between a GTX285 and a 4870 shouldn't be greater than 30%.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb
RAM: G.Skill 4GB @ 576mhz (4.4.4.12)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET
Old February 20, 2009, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Increasing clock speeds on graphics cards doesn't really have a direct relationship with FPS. A 30% OC does not mean we'll see 30% more fps. I honestly have no idea how this new card will fit into the market right now.
Old February 20, 2009, 12:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Increasing clock speeds on graphics cards doesn't really have a direct relationship with FPS. A 30% OC does not mean we'll see 30% more fps. I honestly have no idea how this new card will fit into the market right now.
Agreed. Here is another angle:

Even if this new 4890 card MATCHES the performance of nVidia's GTX 285, is it not too little too late?

Shouldn't have this card beaten the GTX 285 instead of matching it several months after nVidia's launch? AMD basically is guaranteed to lose the performance crown (again) this year because nVidia will immediately come back with something faster.

I understand that you can be very successful by offering the second most powerful car for less bucks. However, for those people who want the fastest card out there, AMD will miss the train. Too bad...I always try to buy ATI cards but I think I'll replaced my 4870 with an nVidia card this spring.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old February 22, 2009, 05:43 AM
Top Prospect

But then there are people like me or those i build for who dont have a ton of money to spend but rather get a good value with a good price. I will probably get a nVidia card as well but for some of my builds people dont care as much as an ethuisist. With the economy to Ati could have something worth while. Like a price drop on Nvidia cards!
Old February 22, 2009, 06:07 AM
Top Prospect

Maybe its not a little too late because not everyone has loads of money to put into a new gpu and people will go for the performance with a lower price tag.
Old February 22, 2009, 10:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
Agreed. Here is another angle:

Even if this new 4890 card MATCHES the performance of nVidia's GTX 285, is it not too little too late?

Shouldn't have this card beaten the GTX 285 instead of matching it several months after nVidia's launch? AMD basically is guaranteed to lose the performance crown (again) this year because nVidia will immediately come back with something faster.

I understand that you can be very successful by offering the second most powerful car for less bucks. However, for those people who want the fastest card out there, AMD will miss the train. Too bad...I always try to buy ATI cards but I think I'll replaced my 4870 with an nVidia card this spring.

Nvidia = always overpriced

ATI = same or damn close to it performance for alot less money.
Old February 22, 2009, 10:55 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Nvidia = always overpriced

ATI = same or damn close to it performance for alot less money.
That's not entirely fair; the bleeding edge is always expensive, no matter who is on it. I seem to remember the 4870x2 being pretty pricey until Nvidia's answer to it arrived, though feel free to correct if I'm wrong there; I'm still running an 8800gt, and only got it long after it fell off the bleeding edge and into the $100 catagory.
Old February 22, 2009, 11:09 AM
Banned
F@H

The 4870x2 debuted far cheaper than it is today($529). Then the economy took effect...and retailers started to gouge far more. In essence, b1lk1 is correct...and is part of the reason that AMD bought ATI in the first place...both businesses shared the vision of dominiating the cheaper market...nVidia and Intel have ALWAYS catered to those who want performance, and are willing to pay for it.

For years it's been this way...AMD not quite as fast, but cheaper...hence AMD dominating the overclocking scene...

nVidia's "high-end" cards generally debut @ $599 or more...

AMD said a couple years ago that they were going to forgoe that ideal, and cater to business customers, but I think they saw Core2, and knew they weren't going to be able to compete anyway. 2009, however AMD is re-entering the enthusiast market, and does seem to be quite serious about it...$250 for thier top chip, Phenom2 940, vs $1500 for i7 965...quite different marketing strategies at paly here, and that will only funnel down into thier vga products...when sales are tight, market dominance is key, and AMD seems headed in the right direction...

That said though, this "new" card should be the start of this focus...5%-10% slower than the competitor, but 25%-30% cheaper...it takes the GTX285 head-on in this fashion...not completely in overall performance, altohugh there will be situations where these cards will trade blows in the performance arena.
Old February 22, 2009, 02:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It seems that ATI really doesn't care about the 5% or less of people buying new high end video cards since that is about it for upper mid range/high end stuff. ATI has focused squarely on the mid-range market and has done it brilliantly. There is hardly anything out that really needs more than a single HD4870 to run smooth. Once you get to 2560X1600 resolutions you can use the ultra high end cards, but if you can afford a 30" LCD then you really don't care what a few high end video cards cost anyways. This is all about cost and ATI has bitch slapped Nvidia at every turn when it comes to the best performance for the least money ever since the 4000 series were released. I don't argue for a second that Nvidia is making the fastest single GPU card available. What I will add is that the performance gains over a single HD4870 is hardly worth the premium.