Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default future of socket 1366

i have been trying to find info on cpu's coming over the next 2 years or so and can't seem to find any. On intel's road map there is only 920,940 and the 965 any info or links that might be helpful thanks.

p.s just bought a 920 and looking to the future of this socket and the olympics 2010
Old February 2, 2009, 11:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

They keep that information close to the chest. But with Intel's announced tick-tock cycle (new design then die shrink), and the Nehalems (i7's) being the tick, you should see a die shrink Q4 09 or Q1 2010. The LGA1366 should be around for at least until the next tick, but it will continue on for a while afterwards. LGA775 is not dead, they're still introducing new chips and steppings.
Old February 2, 2009, 11:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Without giving too much away, the 1366 platform will be used as Intel's enthusiast / server platform for some time to come even as the current Bloomfield architecture transitions to Westmere. You probably won't have to worry about a new architecture until Sandy Bridge hits.

On the other hand, there will be a "new" LGA1156 platform which is supposed to launch this year but that is more budget-oriented so once again, nothing to fear there. What does concern me however is how INtel will integrate the 1156 processors and mobos into their current lineup. We are already seeing i7 920 processors going for under $400 and if you pay attention to the economics of scale, even a mid-level Nehalem-derived 1156 process would have to retail for under $300 just to be competitive on price / performance versus 1366. Anyways, I am just ranting but I just don't see where the Lynnfield and Havendale processors fit into things...
Old February 2, 2009, 12:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
They keep that information close to the chest. But with Intel's announced tick-tock cycle (new design then die shrink), and the Nehalems (i7's) being the tick, you should see a die shrink Q4 09 or Q1 2010. The LGA1366 should be around for at least until the next tick, but it will continue on for a while afterwards. LGA775 is not dead, they're still introducing new chips and steppings.
I really hope Sugar, that we see the E8700, and beyond at least until they have the 1366 into full swing with its sister chip (i5 I think??).
It would keep a few builds I know going for a little while still.

Here is for hoping, I can't afford a whole i7 anytime soon lol.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 2, 2009, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

just waiting for my 920 to get here to do some benchmarks and gaming. I could not agree more with skymtl about socket 1156 or core i5 if thats what it ends up. With the performance of c2d so close to 1366 where is there room for socket 1156
Old February 3, 2009, 05:18 PM
Top Prospect

With the design of the 32nm process being complete and Intel ready to go to manufacturing with it, hopefully they'll be heading our way late this year. That would
put them in line with their "tock " wouldn't it?
It'll sure be interesting to see what the Nahalem is capable of with a reduce TDP
and 32nm architecture. The times they are a-changin.
Old February 6, 2009, 12:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Anyways, I am just ranting but I just don't see where the Lynnfield and Havendale processors fit into things...
Me neither. Wasn't a big part of the Core i7 that it had Quickpath? Sure, DMI is still pretty fast, but...