Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2008, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default New Intel Chips at the end of January

The same guy who got me my 965 for free just told me, you guys can definitely take it as hearsay as I have no links or interwebs references haha

But anyways; he told me just tonight and apparently it's not a big Intel secret atm so there you go!

If you guys see or hear anything around the net post it here!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old December 18, 2008, 08:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'll go check the ARK, but you sure he doesn't just mean that the i7 server variant is being released in January? Perhaps the i5?

Last edited by Chilly; December 18, 2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old December 18, 2008, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's possible, to quote him "new intel chips will be released in january and you should also see a price drop on the 965, 920 and 940 around then too".
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old December 19, 2008, 01:43 AM
Associate Review Editor

There is an avalanche of Xeon "Gainestown" models just around the corner. They are all LGA1366, but they will likely not be compatible with X58 motherboards.
Old December 19, 2008, 07:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That is quite possibly what he was talking about, I tried to get more out of him and he just laughed and told me to wait until January haha
Old December 19, 2008, 08:17 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I heard the same, end Jan for new chips. Im waiting on the prices and final details and may go i7 at that time. :)
Old December 19, 2008, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I heard the same, end Jan for new chips. Im waiting on the prices and final details and may go i7 at that time. :)

I sure hope there isn't anything better than my 965 I just got haha, I may have to sell it on the cheap on our forums and pick up the next big thing considering I haven't even built my i7 completely yet! LOL
Old December 19, 2008, 09:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

Some guy on XS has an i5. Maybe that is the chip that is being released in January. Here is the thread: Intel Core i5 Performance - XtremeSystems Forums
Old December 19, 2008, 11:11 AM
Rookie

Sounds like i5 to me, and a normal price drop after the initial release.

I doubt there will be anything ground breaking until Westmere.
Old December 19, 2008, 11:46 AM
Associate Review Editor

I can't imagine that the Core i5 would be released that soon, especially since I have only heard the faintest whispers about P55 motherboards being ready.