Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   AMD making DDR3 support plans (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/1276-amd-making-ddr3-support-plans.html)

Babrbarossa May 16, 2007 12:50 PM

AMD making DDR3 support plans

According to X-bit Labs, AMD appears to be adopting a more cavalier philosophy for the move to DDR3 and 45nm- they played it safe for DDR2 and waited until intel dragged it slowly into the mainstream before they updated their chipsets for it, and it payed off for them. This time it's going to be different, and I'd say despite Anandtech's ddr3 article that I posted this morning, the move to DDR3 will probably be somewhat faster than the last advance so hopefully it will work out well for AMD. AMD stock price has started to climb this afternoon since this news has been released, after a small loss early in the day. Perhaps investors are encouraged by the forward looking attitude that they have been missing in recent history.

Advanced Micro Devices plans to tie up transition to a new process technology and to a new memory type, according to documents seen by X-bit labs. While the move has its own logical explanations, back in the past the company did not risk to execute a similar plan.

AMD’s microprocessors produced using 45nm process technology code-named Deneb, Prophus and Sargas, due to be out in the second half of 2008, will be AMD’s first processors to support DDR3 memory and coming in AM3 form-factor. As a result, the new processors will symbolize three important transitions for the world’s second largest maker of x86 chips: transition to 45nm fabrication process, transition to AM3 infrastructure and transition to DDR3 memory.
Currently it is unclear which DDR3 speed-bins AMD plans to support, as the company aims at PC2-8500 (DDR2 1066MHz) standard now, as its arch-rival Intel readies chipsets with PC3-10600 (DDR3 1333MHz) support for introduction later during the year.

More from X-BitLabs

Eldonko May 16, 2007 03:16 PM

Isnt that the opposite of what Anand said?

Quote:

According to Hester, it won't be until late 2008 or early 2009 that DDR3 will make economic sense to move to. Given that Phenom will be DDR2 from the start, it looks like AMD's transition to DDR3 will be much like its transition to DDR2: it will complete well after Intel has made the move.

Babrbarossa May 16, 2007 03:25 PM

Sloppy editing- started the sentence one way and finished it another.

I meant despite, but now that's i've thought about it more, I'm not sure whether things are really gearing up faster, or if their have been carefully orchestrated media leaks designed to make them look like they have their shit together.

Babrbarossa May 16, 2007 05:50 PM

Here's a couple of interesting headlines from ayear ago today- also from X-Bit Labs and also form their mysterious 'sources'- is x-bit considered reliable at all- having my doubts???
AMD May Skip DDR2 Support – Web-Site.

AMD Rumoured to Scrap DDR2 Plans, to Adopt XDR, DDR3

Category: CPU
by Anton Shilov
[ 04/22/2005 | 12:46 AM ]

Advanced Micro Devices, who has always been very conservative over DDR2 support, is reported to be considering to skip support of DDR2 SDRAM and jump on the bandwagon of DDR3 or XDR memory later during the decade.

AND THIS

AMD to Adopt DDR3 in a Year - Source. Memory Makers Disagree
“The source revealed that AMD could move to the DDR3 standard, assuming it skips DDR2, sometime within the next 12 months,” the web-site suggests.

From Here

Eldonko May 17, 2007 07:22 AM

Heh yeah. I would trust anand over xbit anyday. :)