Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2008, 10:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default More nvidia woes?

While there still doesn't seem to have been any developments in the lawsuit Rambus filed against NVIDIA earlier this year, that doesn't seem to be stopping the company from opening up another front against its would-be arch rival, and it's now taken its case to the International Trade Commission. As before, Rambus is alleging that NVIDIA and its partner companies are infringing on a whole slew of its memory-related patents, and it's asking for a ban on all imports and sales of NVIDIA products that include DDR, DDR2, DDR3, LPDDR, GDDR, GDDR2, and GDDR3 memory controllers -- or anything with an NVIDIA logo on it, basically. For its part, NVIDIA doesn't seem to be commenting on the matter just yet, but Rambus said in a statement that it believes the action was "necessary given NVIDIA's continued willful infringement of our patents." Look for the ITC to make a decision on whether to start an investigation into the matter or not within the next 30 days, and you can keep tabs on any future Rambus litigation on the Litigation Update section of its website which, yes, actually exists.

Rambus takes aim at NVIDIA over alleged patent infringement, again - Engadget

I doubt this will go far as rambus has tried this before and now theyre just taking it international, but if this actually succeeds it will be a major hit for nvidia.
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old November 7, 2008, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Talk about kicking them while their down. I guess the philosphy of the competition is "if you can't beat them, sue them!!"
Old November 8, 2008, 12:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Faulty GPUs, Faulty chipsets, Prefetch, leaving nforce chipsets, you know my crystal ball tells me that the future is not so good for PC users - you will see sky rocket prices again because you will only have Intel and ATI left, already at a time where the PC games industry is dying because of piracy, this is definately not good.
Old November 8, 2008, 09:51 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

IMO PC gaming isn't dying, the majority of PC game sales take place online, which doesn't get taken into account and developers are quick to point the blame at piracy when their crappy game doesn't sell well.

Anyway, RAMBUS is right up there with the pathetic game developers in my book, camping on very easy to get US patents and not really innovating anything. Even though Nivdia doesn't even make their own ram, they've been targeted because they're not in the best financial situation right now and RAMBUS want's a settlement.

Last edited by Dr_BenD_over; November 8, 2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old November 8, 2008, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
IMO PC gaming isn't dying, the majority of PC game sales take place online, which doesn't get taken into account and developers are quick to point the blame at piracy when their crappy game doesn't sell well.
We have quite a few major game developers here and I know for a FACT, that some are focusing to consoles, with the major reason being piracy - You and I both agree that it's the crappy games that don't sell, however, piracy IS a problem with PC - Despite that, companies still make a generous profits, only they are greedy and want more, and don't take into account that a lot of people DO buy their games - Keeping in mind that for multiplayer you DO need a legit copy and that most hardcore PC gamers don't want to be stuck playing on cracked servers - so yeah we both agree on this ! I will give you an example, EPIC, is one of those companies - Gears of War 2 will not be made for the PC, piracy being the number one reason according to EPIC..... That is a pile of garbage if you ask me - More companies to follow. And piracy is NOT the only issue, now you have the issues of AMD and NVIDIA dying a slow death, and soon being stuck with 1 chip manufacturer and 1 graphic card chipset, which means pricse skyrocketing - and now with this whole NVIDIA / RAMBUS shit, that will affect its graphics card line too, that's definately not helping. What ARE the PC games left ?Shitty console ports ? RPGs ? To be honest I think the PC market, as far as games are concerned, is dying - I have a list of current games in development and those to come out, and to be honest i'm not too impressed - most are console exclusive, and PC, a handful. Another thing that kills the PC online gamign industry is CHEATERS - online cheating has become an epidemic ! and anti-cheat engines are a laughing joke - all these conditions incite people to buy consoles. Honestly I HATE consoles, I hate gamepads, I am a MOUSE and KEYBOARD person. And believe me, console piracy is on the rise and will keep rising too - so EPIC can kiss my ass - Do they really want to know why Gears Of Crap PC didn't sell well ? It has nothing to do with piracy! All they need to do is pull their heads out of their ass and read public forums, including their own :)

Quote:
Anyway, RAMBUS is right up there with the pathetic game developers in my book, camping on very easy to get US patents and not really innovating anything. Even though Nivdia doesn't even make their own ram, they've been targeted because they're not in the best financial situation right now and RAMBUS want's a settlement.
NVIDIA is cursed !

Note GPU problems
Desktop GPU problems
Chipset problems
leaving chipsets
and now this ... Why don't they go bug ATI, I'm sure they have something in their closet
Old November 8, 2008, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Faulty GPUs, Faulty chipsets, Prefetch, leaving nforce chipsets, you know my crystal ball tells me that the future is not so good for PC users - you will see sky rocket prices again because you will only have Intel and ATI left, already at a time where the PC games industry is dying because of piracy, this is definately not good.
I doubt that AMD will die that fast. They already lived through a couple years getting crushed by intel, but they still are okay. Also, with the new chips coming from AMD, it seems like they might get back into the competition.
Old November 8, 2008, 02:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
I doubt that AMD will die that fast. They already lived through a couple years getting crushed by intel, but they still are okay. Also, with the new chips coming from AMD, it seems like they might get back into the competition.
Don't forget there was SIS, VIA, nForce, and AMD - you had a CHOICE back then. Now you have none, and AMD chipsets are not exactly known for being the best when it comes to performance - does exceed in some tests, but not all.

Now VIA was a value line of chipsets but always been a crippling factor for AMD based systems, because of its poor PCI bandwidth and not being able to sustain high PCI bandwidth. So that's why people went with nForce because they could not be compared to VIA, they were far superior in all aspects. Now with nForce gone, VIA gone, and nothing else, what are we stuck with ? AMD's own chipsets - I wonder how those chipsets play with NVIDIA cards, SLI, etc....did you ever ask yourself that question ?
Old November 8, 2008, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Don't forget there was SIS, VIA, nForce, and AMD - you had a CHOICE back then. Now you have none, and AMD chipsets are not exactly known for being the best when it comes to performance - does exceed in some tests, but not all.

Now VIA was a value line of chipsets but always been a crippling factor for AMD based systems, because of its poor PCI bandwidth and not being able to sustain high PCI bandwidth. So that's why people went with nForce because they could not be compared to VIA, they were far superior in all aspects. Now with nForce gone, VIA gone, and nothing else, what are we stuck with ? AMD's own chipsets - I wonder how those chipsets play with NVIDIA cards, SLI, etc....did you ever ask yourself that question ?
Good point.. But there is always the possibility that a miracle would happen and AMD's chipsets are actually good for the new socket.
Old November 8, 2008, 03:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Urgh. I'm beginning to sympathize less and less with Nvidia these days. These issues they're being hit with aren't out of the blue. They're not doing things they should, they're cutting corners, and still putting on an arrogant public face. In this case, technology doesn't appear out of thin air, someone developed it. If you want to use it, figure out who invented it, and clear things up beforehand.

Rambus may be lawsuit happy at times, but they do some pretty hardcore R&D on a lot of stuff, well beyond any simple patent squatting. Just because they don't have the widespread fabrication facilities to go into full production with their technology doesn't suddenly make the patents invalid. And any manufacturer will tell you that the first prototype is what costs all the money - the rest are all dirt cheap. If a company can't invent something by itself, they should fork over the cash to the ones who do, and avoid these kind of situations.
Old November 8, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Good point.. But there is always the possibility that a miracle would happen and AMD's chipsets are actually good for the new socket.
Given the fact it will be the only chipset left for AMD, no, I couldn't disagree more - they don't "HAVE" to be actually good, since there won't be anything else people will compare them to. of course unless you compare them to Intel, but that would be pointless, because we know the results