Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2008, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I think most of us are hoping that Nvidia was a little lazy when they designed G200, not expecting that the bar would rise as much as it did.
What bar???...4870x2...you gotta be kidding...simply a cheap doubled up 4870, as nVidia doubled up the 9800 (9800 GX2)...nothing high tech or revolutionary about these at all!!!!
the GTX 280 is still the best performing "single GPU" solution....and their answer to the 4870x2 will likely not be another cheezy doubled up GPU...really...ATI's solution to winning the game is nothing more than a "temporary fix"...you can be guarenteed of that...

Old November 8, 2008, 10:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
What bar???...4870x2...you gotta be kidding...simply a cheap doubled up 4870, as nVidia doubled up the 9800 (9800 GX2)...nothing high tech or revolutionary about these at all!!!!
the GTX 280 is still the best performing "single GPU" solution....and their answer to the 4870x2 will likely not be another cheezy doubled up GPU...really...ATI's solution to winning the game is nothing more than a "temporary fix"...you can be guarenteed of that...
How is putting two 4870s on a single PCB not high tech? Also, keep in mind that once the 4870 came out at such an affordable price, ATI was already winning. We can thank ATI for the price of the GTX280 right now, and that shows that if NVIDIA kept the price up at the $600+ range, nobody would buy their cards, and instead would get a 4870x2.
Old November 8, 2008, 10:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All companies do nowadays is compete for IP, there are companies out there that do nothing but contend the big corps rights to technology; why do you think MS and Google are always underfire? It's the name of the game. This is not that big of a deal.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 8, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
How is putting two 4870s on a single PCB not high tech?
No matter how you slice it, it is a "doubled-up Card"...no different then the 9800GX2. or previous 7800GX2...cheezy in imo..only a hope to get folks to buy..no real advances in GPU trchnology at all! As for price...sorry, couple of hundred bucks only makes a difference to a few, folks purchasing GPU's spending that kind of coin are going to be looking at a lot more than cost!

Old November 8, 2008, 10:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
This is not that big of a deal.
Of course its not.....makes me laugh when I see folks posting "Nvidia will really be stinging wehn..." or ATI is hurting because...yada yada yada "....

Old November 9, 2008, 09:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Be that as it may, the 4870 itself WAS a leap forward. It may not have the single-card performance halo that the GTX280 does, but they practically forced Nvidia to come out with the GTX260 216 model of card, and these card's exhibit noticibly less fps-dropoff under AA, which definitely is a sign of architectural improvement. So yeah, the bar was definitely raised this time around.

Heh, just because I didn't buy the card myself doesn't mean wasn't impressed by it. The only reason I didn't go for a pair of 4870's was because they took so long to offer them with 1GB of Vram, and I was still pretty jaded over my 3870X2 experience.
Old November 9, 2008, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I agree with you, the 4870 is also a very compact design c.w. with the hulking GTX's. Even in games optimsed for Nvidia cards it still does very well.

Nvidia may well get another very nasty suprise when the 5870 comes out.

I also think they should have pushed the 1gb out a lot faster but I suppose they wanted to sell the 4870X2 in good numbers. In crossfire the 4870 512 seems to overcome some of the potential frame buffer limitations from personal experience-I have no clue why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Be that as it may, the 4870 itself WAS a leap forward.
Heh, just because I didn't buy the card myself doesn't mean wasn't impressed by it.

The only reason I didn't go for a pair of 4870's was because they took so long to offer them with 1GB of Vram, and I was still pretty jaded over my 3870X2 experience.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old November 9, 2008, 11:35 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I'd guess initially they had a limited supply of GDDR5 memory and chose to make twice as many 512's as they could 1gb.
Old November 9, 2008, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Whoaa..these exist..? (oh yeah I forgot..Future Shop/ Staples crap) ...even my sons Asus Laptop was $1450....
I can build a decent PC for ~$1000. I don't know what you're talking about...
Old November 9, 2008, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
No matter how you slice it, it is a "doubled-up Card"...no different then the 9800GX2. or previous 7800GX2...cheezy in imo..only a hope to get folks to buy..no real advances in GPU trchnology at all! As for price...sorry, couple of hundred bucks only makes a difference to a few, folks purchasing GPU's spending that kind of coin are going to be looking at a lot more than cost!
Sorry for double post...but,

I don't think you realize just how hard it is to engineer such a card. One, the electronic component density on the card is way more sophisticated than a single GPU. Two, putting two performance GPUs on one card is a feat upon no other. It saves space and provides other devices to be installed. Three, look at the amount of extra performance the 4870X2 and 9800GX2 compared to their single brothers. The engineering team at both Nvidia and ATI have done a great job providing these cards at decent prices. Heck, for double the price for an extra PCI-E slot, other than taking up two, is a great feat. You're basically paying for two cards, but in one package. Superb.

This whole thing around Rambus and whatnot is not just about the top high end cards. It affects every other single card they engineer and manufacture. From low end to high end. If this actually does take effect, then expect all Nvidia cards to go up in price as well as ATI's.