Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2008, 07:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
and now this ... Why don't they go bug ATI, I'm sure they have something in their closet
Actually ATI signed a contract with rambus years ago, theyre in the clear because actual did things the right way.

I doubt this will kill nvidia, its not like ati is DOMINATING nvidia, they just actually have a real competitor now, and there are a ton of people who stick with nvidia even if they take a hit in performance just because its nvidia. AMD also wont die, they cant compete in the highend but in the lowend of the price range they shine.
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old November 8, 2008, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ATI only has less then 40% of the market share. Nvidia isn't dying. AMD is in a struggle but they should be fine for a few more years.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old November 8, 2008, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You guys really believe Nvidia is this "frail" little company barely getting by with a constant fear of ATI looming on the doorstep and that the advent of one ATI GPU is going to send the Company into a spiraling Economic collapse...???? If so...you're very gullible indeed!!
Google Nvidia and have a very "close" look at what they entail...as far as involvement in the Hardware / Software developement of Computer products....hell I remember about 15 - 17 yrs ago when all the "muttle" was IBM / PC was going to oust Mac.... yeah right, like that really happened!!!

Old November 8, 2008, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It takes a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time for a big wheel to stop turning.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 8, 2008, 08:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
It takes a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time for a big wheel to stop turning.
...and it will never happen....it will go on and on...which is us, as consumers want!!

Old November 8, 2008, 09:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Where's the popcorn...this is a good topic!

I hope that everything will work out for everyone in the end. If any of the current companies die now, the consumer is screwed beyond belief. Say goodbye to those sub $1000 PCs.
Old November 8, 2008, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Say goodbye to those sub $1000 PCs.
Whoaa..these exist..? (oh yeah I forgot..Future Shop/ Staples crap) ...even my sons Asus Laptop was $1450....

Old November 8, 2008, 09:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Whoaa..these exist..? (oh yeah I forgot..Future Shop/ Staples crap) ...even my sons Asus Laptop was $1450....
LOL !!! Yeah those <$750 PCs all inclusive at FS, most people think they are getting a bargain but most of these people don't know a thing about hardware and think of opening the case to see what they put inside - unless they consider onboard video with 32MB memory a good thing :D

Anyways, I see some of you are overly optimistic - what if NVIDIA loses this case - it will be forced to stop all production and exporting of infringing content, including graphics cards !!! So how i NVIDIA going to stay alive if 1) no more nforce chipsets, 2) cannot export graphics cards...... I'd like to know that , unless NVIDIA will do like they did with prefetch and use a generic controller and cripple your graphics card too while they're at it you think people will want to live with that ? NO.
Old November 8, 2008, 10:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

This isn't going to kill Nvidia, but it could hurt them more than some people think. Just because they're big, doesn't make them immune. All it takes is a bunch of coinciding factors coming together at just the right time, and you have the makings of a perfect storm. Say, a bunch of recalls for major contracts, coupled with a sudden surge by your chief competitor, along with a few nasty lawsuits concerning technology that virtually all your products make use of, with all this happening just as we're entering an economic downturn... yeah.

At the very least, they might not have as much cash to throw into future R&D. I think most of us are hoping that Nvidia was a little lazy when they designed G200, not expecting that the bar would rise as much as it did. But if they weren't lazy, and this is the result of all their R&D, it's not impossible that this might slow down development of a future generation of product. Entirely speculation, but even the biggest giants can starve to death, right? Just saw an article today about Ford and GM giving serious warnings about their financial straits. So we'll have to see how things are in half a year.
Old November 8, 2008, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok so what about the GDDR3 used in recent graphics cards, what about that - and the threat to force NVIDIA to ban exporting graphics cards - what is NVIDIA going to do about that - that means no more graphics cards - what is NVIDIA going to use then ?
make its own proprietary controller ? LOL I don't think so!