Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   ati 4gb quad graphics card? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/11567-ati-4gb-quad-graphics-card.html)

renoracer November 6, 2008 06:33 PM

ati 4gb quad graphics card?

i was chatting to someone today and they mentioned to me of a card that will be out in march a 4gb quad card (5xxx.x4) has anyone heard this or is this guy a joke like most??

if this is true i am booking 2 for myself asap

sould i email ATI? and ask ?

seems strange they just put the 4870x2 a few months ago

Jonwall November 6, 2008 06:47 PM

I actually made a thread on this not that long ago, supposedly its going to be 2 gpus stacked on top of each other like the pentium d, and that will be recognized as a single gpu, so theoretically you could have a 5870x2 which would be 2 of those "dualcore" gpus, and 1gb memory por core. I wouldnt bother emailing ati they wont say anything to anyone lol. And the 4870x2 did just recently come out but this would be about 6 months after the x2s release so its not that odd. And with the way ati is going lately it wouldnt surprise me if they did pull something like this off just to slap nvidia in the face again.

Original thread is here btw http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...5870-info.html

encorp November 6, 2008 06:48 PM

sounds like a completely expensive and useless card.

MpG November 6, 2008 06:49 PM

If ATI wanted us to know what their future plans were, we'd definitely know about it. And fanboys everywhere would be flinging :censored: at each other, debating on how well it will perform. So no, a call to ATI is going to get you nothing.

There are more than a few rumours going around right now, but it's all 'leaks' and speculation. And let's not forget how well ATI kept the actual specs of their 4-series cards under wraps (or at least, uncertain), almost right up until launch.

And show me someone prebuying an unreleased product, and I'll show you a retail store owner dry-humping his cash register.

Eagle Eye November 6, 2008 06:51 PM

Thats sounds pretty amazing but can I get at least a cpu that can keep pace with these extremely powerful gpus that only end up bottlenecked by them.

My $0.02 CAD

EE

renoracer November 6, 2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 109172)
If ATI wanted us to know what their future plans were, we'd definitely know about it. And fanboys everywhere would be flinging :censored: at each other, debating on how well it will perform. So no, a call to ATI is going to get you nothing.

There are more than a few rumours going around right now, but it's all 'leaks' and speculation. And let's not forget how well ATI kept the actual specs of their 4-series cards under wraps (or at least, uncertain), almost right up until launch.

And show me someone prebuying an unreleased product, and I'll show you a retail store owner dry-humping his cash register.

LMAO:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ok then i guess ill have to wait and see
maybe if i get on feebay before they are released to the public i might snagg a few

see it before and it may happen again

i can run crysis now and it is nuts for the fps murders almost all machines :thumb:

ill get some screen shots tomorrow for you guys and maybe a video

betea drivers for ati are awsome:bleh:

SKYMTL November 6, 2008 08:24 PM

Sounds like a workstation card to me...

cadaveca November 6, 2008 08:44 PM

:rofl:

MCM packaging would solve some "microstutter" issues, IMHO. If, and I stress this IF, we have MCM packaging, then quad gpu card, entirely possible.

We've kinda hit the max of silicon frequency(as dictated by power consumption/area), so the only logical way is to increase size of computing elements, and number of the transistors used. However, the longer the data path for processing, the slower you end up, so actual processing elemetns must still remian relatively small. This is why we have quad core cpus and 800 SP's in gpus...longer processing doesn't bring any benefits...

:doh:

Current gpus are still kinda limited @ 1920x1080...whether it's nVidia or ATI. Have you guys seen the triple-slot vgas? You've got the entire top section of a motherboard, and then some, crammed into a small space...it's nothing other than heat and space holding current tech back!:whistle:

It's easier to cool multiple small packages, so many smaller processing elements just makes sense all around.:blarg:

Really, I'm waiting, patiently, for gpus to be the motherboard, and cpus an add-in card. So many problems could be solved...:ph34r:

Anyway, dual MCMs don't really appeal to me. Unless we get better accompanying silicon.:bleh:

rjbarker November 6, 2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

And with the way ati is going lately it wouldnt surprise me if they did pull something like this off just to slap nvidia in the face again.
The see-saw battle will continue for some time.....I'm sure Nvidia isn't "sweating bullets" as I'm sure those boys will have a "slap in the face" release come Quad 2 2009...hhhhmmm GTX 290 / 350's....

zlojack November 7, 2008 06:22 AM

cadaveca, that is a very interesting proposition.