LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterd View Post
sounds like you have some strikers against nforce? jk i loved the thread
Bahahaha !!

Yep.

Stick to video cards I say.Can't do high performance chipsets worth a shit.

'andnothingofvaluewaslost'

Old November 2, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The 2 and 4 series were champs, sadly they haven't produced a decent chipset since 4 IMO.

But less competition is always bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 2, 2008, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Yeah, it remains to be seen how that turns out. Looks like Fuad didn't bother doing much homework on that particular article.

VR-Zone (see post 5)

On the other hand: OPTi Receives Award in Arbitration...

So Nvidia claims they quit using the prefetch a long time ago, but there was just a settlement on grounds that they didn't? Time will tell, I suppose. Really, it's pretty hard to saturate the PCI bus with anything short of an old RAID card, I think. I wouldn't expect a sound card to manage it.

I'm not sure I buy the "less competition argument" in this case. Even if Intel is the sole chipset maker for their processors, they've still got competition in other areas. And those areas need good chipsets in order to maximize their own potential, which hopefully provides incentive for Intel to keep improving them. Furthermore, with numerous mobo makers using those same chipsets, there's still competition between them to extract the most performance/reliability from what they're given.
This can be bad for gamers and video editors - and those with Creative Labs sound cards like the X-FI, Audigy, etc, this will mean lag and crackling / popping issues - I wonder how much truth there is to this - this is NVIDIA's death warrant. VIA chipsets were so unpopular because of their shitty performance and crippled PCI bus, and now NVIDIA ? It is very easy to saturate the PCI bus you would be surprised - People who already have NLE editing cards, DON'T upgrade your BIOS !!! 2 layers of uncompressed SD, a graphic track, sound, etc, is quite enough to cause big problems. My next system IS going to be Intel, no doubt, I really like AMD, but VIA being gone and NVIDIA being in the shit, not that I have much choice, and certainly will not touch AMD's own chipset with a ten foot pole either.
Old November 2, 2008, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

They were always spotty at the height of thier chipsets....2 series was the best.

You are totally correct about the competition thang but I'm not sad to see Nvidia go .

Old November 2, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Why do you say that ? VIA is gone, and if nVIDIA is gone, what does this mean for AMD ? This will also mean the end of AMD - You know what will happen then ? You guessed it - INTEL's prices will go back up (way back up) sinc eit won't have anybody to compete with anymore and hold the monopoly on CPUs. Seeing AMD is about to be faced with this lawsuit as well, so now I bet Intel is laughing their ass off now and screaming victory !

The only PCI card I use in my system is my Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality Professional series - and so far it works great on my NF570 SLI - This PCI prefetech thing is alleged to have been removed in 2007 and I don't even see that option in my BIOS, but I do know that a soundcard can hog the PCI bus - so I guess it's time to move along and forget about PCI and use PCie :) And in any case if you really are into NLE you should be using INTEL... So I'll enjoy my AMD for now and hope that my next sound card will be PCIe otherwise bye bye m*****f**kers ! :)
Old November 5, 2008, 12:53 PM
Rookie

nforce2, nforce590, nforce650.

never gave me any unsolvable problems. i'll be sad to see nforce go.
Old November 5, 2008, 01:24 PM
MVP
F@H

Next machine i am gonna build.. is going to be with the Intel set.. prob is
which one i prefer evga but the asus one looks good to

Old November 5, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow I thought I'd never see it, EVGA using an Intel Chipset then again what choice did they have? Oh thats right nVidia doesn't have a chipset for the Intel Core i7 yet or ever.

P.S. The Palatino linotype font didn't seem to work there DD.
Old November 5, 2008, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That evga looks like a very preliminary effort- the cooling looks fairly pedestrian and it'll be pricey- I'll bet their subsequent efforts will be better value

EDIT- just noticed the MSRP included- not as expensive as I might have guessed.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; November 5, 2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old November 5, 2008, 03:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah the cooling is what I don't like about it, but EVGA I love as a company for their support etc, I'm going to wait out the boards for a month and see where they go; if I do go with the EVGA I will definitely be looking at replacing that chipset cooler. I did order some memory and stuff for my new system though today.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.