Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2009, 01:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
I went from 98SE to Vista 64 in june and had no problems, I doubt you will either.
Step 1: Turn off UAC
Step 2: Turn on classis view
Step 3: Make sure UAC is off
Steps 4~10: See step 1 ...
that's a really stupid move. UAC was designed so that you won't be an idiot and run apps even as "admin" without confirmation or user elevation.

Leave your UAC on AT ALL TIMES.

deltatux
Old January 27, 2009, 03:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatux View Post
that's a really stupid move. UAC was designed so that you won't be an idiot and run apps even as "admin" without confirmation or user elevation.

deltatux
UAC, not a chance, I don't need a nanny. If I download something stupid I'll deal with it. Good Manners and Politeness on the other hand, should be on at all times...

Old January 27, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I leave UAC on but now I don't have an anti-virus. Although UAC can be very annoying and even bugs you for Microsoft updates and even opening up device manager.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 27, 2009, 03:21 PM
Allstar

I think it's good in principle. You say that if you download something stupid then you'd deal with it. The problem is that by downloading something stupid you affect other people if your computer turns into a bot used for DOS attacks and other malicious uses. I agree some sort of nannying is required for the majority of idiot users out there.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old January 27, 2009, 03:28 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
I think it's good in principle. You say that if you download something stupid then you'd deal with it. The problem is that by downloading something stupid you affect other people if your computer turns into a bot used for DOS attacks and other malicious uses. I agree some sort of nannying is required for the majority of idiot users out there.
True, but I don't consider myself an "idiot user". And I don't think rjbarker, to whom my original comment was directed, is one either...

Old January 27, 2009, 06:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
True, but I don't consider myself an "idiot user". And I don't think rjbarker, to whom my original comment was directed, is one either...
Way to get off topic and hijack the entire thread guys, try and keep on topic lol
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old July 6, 2009, 02:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatux View Post

deltatux
Oh good lord are you kidding me? UAC must IMMEDIATELY be disabled. Seriously, at first login before you install any kind of drivers or applications, you must disable that evil creation called UAC. I can see how it may be a good idea to have UAC double-ask you for entering the Device Manager for instance, but I absolutely don't understand why changing the system font size is also considered an administrative action. What can you harm with that?

Or how about being limited to changing the Windows features that are on or off. That's not "dangerous" either. Or how about defragmenting your HD? Or viewing event logs? Why must these tasks be UAC-crippled?

Honestly UAC is one of Microsoft's all time most stupid creations ever. I think the clipboard animation guy in Microsoft Office 97 bothered me less even.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old July 6, 2009, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
Oh good lord are you kidding me? UAC must IMMEDIATELY be disabled. Seriously, at first login before you install any kind of drivers or applications, you must disable that evil creation called UAC. I can see how it may be a good idea to have UAC double-ask you for entering the Device Manager for instance, but I absolutely don't understand why changing the system font size is also considered an administrative action. What can you harm with that?

Or how about being limited to changing the Windows features that are on or off. That's not "dangerous" either. Or how about defragmenting your HD? Or viewing event logs? Why must these tasks be UAC-crippled?

Honestly UAC is one of Microsoft's all time most stupid creations ever. I think the clipboard animation guy in Microsoft Office 97 bothered me less even.
My good friend, this thread has been dead for over 5 months...
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old July 6, 2009, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I was kinda excited but then there was nothing

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 6, 2009, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Not any more.

Tags
rumor