Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   Ati 5870 info? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/11182-ati-5870-info.html)

deltatux January 27, 2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCB001 (Post 139169)
I went from 98SE to Vista 64 in june and had no problems, I doubt you will either.
Step 1: Turn off UAC
Step 2: Turn on classis view
Step 3: Make sure UAC is off
Steps 4~10: See step 1 :biggrin:...

that's a really stupid move. UAC was designed so that you won't be an idiot and run apps even as "admin" without confirmation or user elevation.

Leave your UAC on AT ALL TIMES.

deltatux

LCB001 January 27, 2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deltatux (Post 144421)
that's a really stupid move. UAC was designed so that you won't be an idiot and run apps even as "admin" without confirmation or user elevation.

deltatux

UAC, not a chance, I don't need a nanny. If I download something stupid I'll deal with it. Good Manners and Politeness on the other hand, should be on at all times...

belgolas January 27, 2009 04:20 PM

:offtopic: I leave UAC on but now I don't have an anti-virus. Although UAC can be very annoying and even bugs you for Microsoft updates and even opening up device manager.

thenewguy001 January 27, 2009 04:21 PM

I think it's good in principle. You say that if you download something stupid then you'd deal with it. The problem is that by downloading something stupid you affect other people if your computer turns into a bot used for DOS attacks and other malicious uses. I agree some sort of nannying is required for the majority of idiot users out there.

LCB001 January 27, 2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenewguy001 (Post 144484)
I think it's good in principle. You say that if you download something stupid then you'd deal with it. The problem is that by downloading something stupid you affect other people if your computer turns into a bot used for DOS attacks and other malicious uses. I agree some sort of nannying is required for the majority of idiot users out there.

True, but I don't consider myself an "idiot user". And I don't think rjbarker, to whom my original comment was directed, is one either...

Jonwall January 27, 2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCB001 (Post 144490)
True, but I don't consider myself an "idiot user". And I don't think rjbarker, to whom my original comment was directed, is one either...

Way to get off topic and hijack the entire thread guys, try and keep on topic lol

Oversized Rooster July 6, 2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deltatux (Post 144421)

deltatux

Oh good lord are you kidding me? UAC must IMMEDIATELY be disabled. Seriously, at first login before you install any kind of drivers or applications, you must disable that evil creation called UAC. I can see how it may be a good idea to have UAC double-ask you for entering the Device Manager for instance, but I absolutely don't understand why changing the system font size is also considered an administrative action. What can you harm with that?

Or how about being limited to changing the Windows features that are on or off. That's not "dangerous" either. Or how about defragmenting your HD? Or viewing event logs? Why must these tasks be UAC-crippled?

Honestly UAC is one of Microsoft's all time most stupid creations ever. I think the clipboard animation guy in Microsoft Office 97 bothered me less even.

Sagath July 6, 2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster (Post 218706)
Oh good lord are you kidding me? UAC must IMMEDIATELY be disabled. Seriously, at first login before you install any kind of drivers or applications, you must disable that evil creation called UAC. I can see how it may be a good idea to have UAC double-ask you for entering the Device Manager for instance, but I absolutely don't understand why changing the system font size is also considered an administrative action. What can you harm with that?

Or how about being limited to changing the Windows features that are on or off. That's not "dangerous" either. Or how about defragmenting your HD? Or viewing event logs? Why must these tasks be UAC-crippled?

Honestly UAC is one of Microsoft's all time most stupid creations ever. I think the clipboard animation guy in Microsoft Office 97 bothered me less even.

My good friend, this thread has been dead for over 5 months...

belgolas July 6, 2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagath (Post 218713)

I was kinda excited but then there was nothing :sad:

IRQ Conflict July 6, 2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagath (Post 218713)

Not any more. :haha: