Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2007, 01:16 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Undressing the Rumor Sites

Many people put WAY too much stock in what rumor sites have to say and this thread will be a cautionary tale to those who think what they say is FACT.

While reading about these things is great fun, here are some examples of why you really need to bring along some stong boots to slog through all of the BS they produce.

I will post more as I have the time....

First Case:

Earlier in the day, H.I.S mistakenly released the HD 2900XT onto their site. This was covered very well by Techpowerup and they were indeed the first ones to post it. Please pay special attention to the what is written on the H.I.S website:
techPowerUp! News :: HIS Radeon HD 2900XT Information

Then, Fudzilla picked up this story and comes up with this "article"

Fudzilla - ATI R600 marketing BS unveiled

Notice who he mentioned that this was given out on the "14th"? It is funny how it is copied VERBATIM from the H.I.S site. He makes it sound like this is his insider information and gives no credit to others for doing his legwork.

It is so funny how he labels this as AMD's BS.....

This is a prime example of how words can be twisted around.

Second Case

This is more a case of how many of these rumor sites rarely get the small things right. Actually, this is a pretty big thing in this case....

Fudzilla - R600 uses 240W on default

I am also filing this one under "complete BS" as it is next to impossible that ATI would release a GPU that consumes that much unless they were totally daft....

Anyways, as for the error. You may notice that the "article" mentions that the ne wPCI-E connector is a 4+4 pin configuration. This could not be further from the truth; it is a straight 8-pin or a 6-pin + 2-pin configuration. For some reason Fuad is under the impression that an EPS12V connector will fit in the new PCI-E power input.

Third Case
(This one has already been covered by me in another thread and I will post it here)

This morning (as already mentioned), Techpowerup posted an article about the HD 2900XT 512MB card:

techPowerUp! News :: First R600 Launch Evidence - HIS Radeon HD 2900XT 512MB GDDR3 VIVO PCIe

It took HIS more than a few hours to bring down the article. At the time of posting, Fudzilla had NOTHING on their site mentioning this. Well, shortly after Techpowerup posted their link, Fuad came up with this tidbit:

Fudzilla - ATI bundles HL2 episode 2 with R600

Well, guess what? The HIS site listed HL2, Portal and Team Fortress 2 on its box art. Instead, Fuad said "our industry sources" ....sources? What sources? Techpowerup?

Anyways, he soon realized he forgot to add the other two titles (other than HL2) to his first article, so decided to write this:

Fudzilla - R600 bundles three games

THEN he goes on to use the EXACT HIS picture in this "article" without quoting Techpowerup as the original source:

Fudzilla - Radeon HD 2900XT 512 MB pictured

FINALLY, to add insult to injury he comes up with some "Crossfire Score" for two HD 2900XT cards which was pulled form God-knows what part of his body:

Fudzilla - Radeon HD 2900XT Crossfire score

Heck, maybe that score is ALMOST right and if so, it was one heck of a guess.

So, there you have it. More will be posted as I find them and I hope to update this post on a regular basis.
Old May 2, 2007, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Techpowerup is a poorly run site that is using the past credibility it had with ATITOOL. ATITOOL has not worked properly if at all since the release of the X1x00 series cards. In fact, it works better on Nvidia cards. Do not believe much of what you read there. That site has gone so far downhill in the last year that it is basically laughable now. I don't think I need to comment about Fudzilla, that site is where the stuff you flush down the toilet goes, LOL!

Good expose SKYMTL!
Old May 2, 2007, 01:55 PM

Actually, I really respect Techpowerup and so does Fuad since he seems to be willing to grab their news stories and twist its words.

Techpowerup is one of the ONLY sites I read at least once a day and to see information they have used in this way by another site really ticks me off.
Old May 2, 2007, 04:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I used to have alot more respect for TechPowerUp before I had a run in with some of the mods for having a beef with a "respected" member. 3 months later, the "respected" member I had a beef with was banned because he was basically an ass. There is little to no serious moderation and the amount of flame posting is ludicrous. But I must agree, that other site makes the enquirer look good.
Old May 2, 2007, 04:41 PM

And it continues:

Fudzilla

NOW, the HD 2900XT will need a 750W PSU with 2X 3-pin PCI-E connectors.

So, somehow we will all need PSUs with two fan connectors that magically morph into PCI-E connectors.

Doesn't anyone proof read this stuff????
Old May 2, 2007, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Which sites other than L'Inq and Fud that you would warn people to avoid for news?
Old May 2, 2007, 06:21 PM

Since Fuad left, Inq isn't that bad....usually.

To tell you the truth, there are a few others:

- VRZone
- HKEPC

The fasct of the matter is that I am not saying to AVOID these sites. Just to take their more outrageous claims with a grain of salt. Some of them (minus Fudzilla) can sometimes have good scoops.
Old May 2, 2007, 06:29 PM
Top Prospect

When and why did Fuad leave? I was wondering why I haven't seen a post by him in a while.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.20GHz, ASUS P5K Premium WiFi-AP, OCZ 8GB PC2-6400, EVGA GTX 285 1024MB
Seagate 500GB, 750GB & 1TB, Pioneer 22x ODD, Corsair 1000HX, Thermalright Ultra-120, CM Storm Sniper
Dell 2408WFP 24", ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Ultrasone PRO 750, Gentoo Linux (KDE 4.4, 2.6.32 Kernel)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Profiles: Last.fm | Xbox Live | Steam
Old May 2, 2007, 06:41 PM

Personally, I think it was because of two MAIN reasons, both of which he was kindly asked to leave.

#1: The whole cooked-up R600-specs scandal

#2: The fake "Rydermark" screenshots which caused an uproar.
Old May 2, 2007, 08:39 PM
Top Prospect

Both sound reasonable to me!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.20GHz, ASUS P5K Premium WiFi-AP, OCZ 8GB PC2-6400, EVGA GTX 285 1024MB
Seagate 500GB, 750GB & 1TB, Pioneer 22x ODD, Corsair 1000HX, Thermalright Ultra-120, CM Storm Sniper
Dell 2408WFP 24", ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Ultrasone PRO 750, Gentoo Linux (KDE 4.4, 2.6.32 Kernel)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Profiles: Last.fm | Xbox Live | Steam