Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Nehalem = Low DDR3 clocks speeds?

Interesting Article!

"As has been mentioned previously, the Nehalem platform has been said to only carry official support for DDR3-800 and DDR3-1066, though some sources are indicating that DDR3-1333 memory support will also be included. Nordic explain that although there has been some confusion as to why Intel Core i7 would not support DDR3 memory clocked at higher frequencies, the first thing you need to be aware of is that it is not the frequency of the memory that is the culprit.

The problem is rather that the memory and the processor internals are fed synchronized voltages. Previous reports have stated that anything above 1.65V would fry a Nehalem processor and it would certainly be hard to get any of today's DDR3 memory modules to any kind of decent speeds at this voltage. But, these stories are exaggerated, but the fact remains that Nehalem processors are not going to like voltages above 1.7V.

So, it would appear the limitation comes from not being able to make use of higher voltages without potentially overheating/killing the processor. For this reason, the memory will not be able to be pushed as much as on a current-day Core 2 platform where the memory controller is seperate, thereby having its own voltage circuit.

Hopefully as DDR3 further matures, we will see modules hit the market with extreme speeds at low voltages to counter-act this problem. "

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 14, 2008, 10:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yea i read about this a week/ or two ago kinda makes sense but i hope its not true i would not want to be running the I7 at 1.4-1.5 OR 1.6 volts i could just imagine the amount of electricity this would take. New Technology= More energy savings is what i had in mind.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old September 14, 2008, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It dosn't look like things will be really refined until Sandybridge to be honest. I guess with all things; we'll have to wait and see!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 14, 2008, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Overclockers.com's (Ed) did a good summary of why this wouldn't make sense. Read it, then see what you think.

Overclockers.com - Nehalem: Synchonized Voltages?

Old September 14, 2008, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ohh well that makes much more sense!