Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2006, 05:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Björn3D reviews PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR SLI PSU

It was about this time last year that I had a most enjoyable time playing with NVIDIA’s new 7800GTS 512MB’s in SLI. As you may recall finding a power supply that would run those 2 cards turned into a nightmare. Several high end power supplies could not keep my system from shutting down. In the end I turned to PC Power and Cooling and got a 1KW from them to solve my problem. That power supplied worked flawlessly and earned a Golden Bear Award from Bjorn3D.

Now I have a new configuration, running XFX 8800GTX cards in SLI along with a few other power hungry system goodies. The XFX 8800GTX(s) each require 2 PCI-E power connectors. I almost went with the PC Power and Cooling 1K Quad for this system, but was just a little concerned that the power supplied on each rail might not be adequate to meet the needs of the extremely power-hungry 8800GTXs. After discussing the mater with the professional staff at PC Power and Cooling, I decided to try out their brand new 1KW-SR.

The test specs of my rig are about as extreme as is currently available today. Extreme systems of this type most certainly require desperate measures to meet their basic power demands, much less the requirements when I really push the system. Today I'll outline my experience with the PC Power & Cooling 1KW-SR and detail it's performance in the most harrowing torture test I could dream up to throw at the system.

More @ Bjorn3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 10, 2006, 10:07 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Is it just me or does this power supply look extremely long?:eek: Could be a problem for people with mid towers with optical drives in the way.

Name:  T1KWSR_photo_01.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  48.7 KB
Old December 11, 2006, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
+12V@ 72A (78A peak)
Nice:D

Mech Specs attched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton

Last edited by Supergrover; February 8, 2010 at 08:37 AM.