Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2008, 12:43 PM
MVP
F@H

Oh man, as much as I love this site... I have to say, you guys are making a big stink out of a single image which will be completely forgotten in a matter of days.

I once found 20 or so pictures of MY custom car audio installations on a competitor's website selling the installs as their own. Even then, I emailed them a couple times and basically forgot about it.

In the end, this kind of crap always takes care of itself. We all know HWC is the better site no matter who rips the pictures off, take it as a compliment and brush it off.
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old July 10, 2008, 01:31 PM
Rookie

As my mum used to say "YOU ALWAYS GET FOUND OUT!"

I also think Sky handled the situation very well.

Last edited by LooseCannon; July 10, 2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old July 10, 2008, 01:39 PM
Top Prospect

Vinister, as much as one should brush it off, it is not just a case of plagiarism. Not only did they plagiarize but they also made other claims saying that it was a HIS card when it wasn't. How are we to know what other "proof" they have posted is true and accurate?

In my case, I used SKYMTL's pictures as almost a step by step guide in modding my own 4870 with the same aftermarket cooler. These sites actually mean a whole lot more than just an advertising schtick. They are supposed to be as unbiased reviews as possible giving us Joe-blows a chance to evaluate what to put into our units. If a site has been compromised, I need to know. Kinda like how I strongly believe Tom's Hardware has been compromised by NVidia (it took them FOREVER to review the 4800 series and it was a shoddy review compared to the GeForce 200 series).
| Antec 1200 Case | Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit |
Old July 10, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
How are we to know what other "proof" they have posted is true and accurate?In my case, I used SKYMTL's pictures as almost a step by step guide in modding my own 4870 with the same aftermarket cooler. These sites actually mean a whole lot more than just an advertising schtick.
Yes I agree, I study these sorts of pics very carefully. Hopefully this whole matter can be put to bed now. I think its ashame after all the hard work SKY's done that hes had to waste time on all this. Plus the other MODs involved have been distracted too.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old July 10, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Man, don't get to the site for 2 days because of work and look what I missed.

SKY, you handled this admirably. You could have gone the lawyer route or many other approaches but thankfully you have chosen the best one. This shows in all of the support that I have seen out there for you and HWC in general.

Of course, I like everyone else, would love to see a formal apology and sincerely hope that you do get one.

Again, cheers for the excellent way you have handled things.

Old July 10, 2008, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I go away on a weeks vacation and come back to find this. Well SKY, you completely handled this in the utmost professional manner and I think that Rodney should apologize to you and others that he has infringed upon, if not by a formal apology on his website than at least a personal e-mail.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old July 10, 2008, 08:57 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinister View Post
Oh man, as much as I love this site... I have to say, you guys are making a big stink out of a single image which will be completely forgotten in a matter of days.
Let's clear a few things up here since I think you are reading this situation wrong.

#1: We DID NOT bring it up. Members on this site brought it to our attention after which I asked them to NOT post anything since i had not even contacted 3DGameman about it. Thus proving that we wanted to keep this behind the scenes.

#2: Once we contacted 3DGameman he REFUSED to take the image down or reinsert our watermark. This point is important: he removed our identifying markings.

#3: We were never the ones to post about it ANYWHERE. Capt. Vortex made the first post here and OCPulse picked it up as a news item. Before we knew it, the story was all over the internet.

#4: Naturally, once the story hit mainstream media we needed to address it publically which is why I posted in this thread...what? Nearly two hours after the original post.

We made our position clear, we gave 3DGameman a chance and we never launched a personal atack on his site or him as a person.

All in all, I fail to see how WE raised a big stink about this.......
Old July 10, 2008, 09:30 PM
Top Prospect

SKY thats prob 3DGameman lol

and in the words of Dr. Sam Beckett "oh boy"
~~~~~~~~~~Coolermaster Centurion 5~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old July 10, 2008, 09:32 PM
Manufacturer Rep

i just think its great to know that if i steal vinisters car, he wont make a big stink about it lol afterall, its just a single car
Old July 10, 2008, 09:55 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
i just think its great to know that if i steal vinisters car, he wont make a big stink about it lol afterall, its just a single car
Spawne and you know it'll be forgotten in a couple of days too!
~~~~~~~~~~Coolermaster Centurion 5~~~~~~~~~~~~

Closed Thread