Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2008, 03:25 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
orly? The thesis seems to be that this guy took HWC/Sky's work, for profit, and gave no credit. This seems a little vague to me and warrants a lot more exposition. If 3GM had been DMCAed by Fox for taking the 13 seconds of FF4:RSS footage, for profit, without crediting it, do you really think the response here would have been, "right on - you go Fox - protect your rights"?
Here is my point: we didn't take ANY legal recourse against 3DGM. None. We could have but chose not to since we wanted to settle it behind the scenes and end things as amicably as possible. Whereas a company like Fox would go for DMCA jugular at the drop of a dime.

Yes, some people took things a bit far on other forums by attacking 3DGM on a personal level. We do not support that kind of route but it is understandable.

Put yourself in our shoes and I am sure you would have done the same thing by appealing to 3DGM in a diplomatic email asking to either reinsert our watermark or remove the image. Then having a reply which basically calls your attempt at diplomacy "ridiculous" while denying any wrongdoing. We weren't asking for much and tried to keep things behind closed doors but other readers / sites were attentive enough to find the same thing we did.

While we could very well have fired a shot by calling in the dogs (ie: lawyers) we chose not to and in this you are 100% correct. Everyone should be aware that trotting out the lawyers is taken VERY seriously which is why I will refer you to my first point: we didn't let them loose.
Old July 11, 2008, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

How is it not wrong? Where do you guys get off thinking that this isn't a big deal? Sure its a picture, but its someone else's work! Is it okay to steal someone elses work? Not according to Mr. Law Man...

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old July 11, 2008, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I wouldn't call it a big deal, but it is a slap in the face. As for jackrabbit, you are missing my point completely. The internet is like the wild west. There is no real law on the internet. Only verifiable copyrights can be enforced on the WWW. I doubt this could even be fought for and won in court. It never was going to or needed to be brought to court. BUT, that tool that stole the photo should be publicly shamed for his lack of credibility since credibility in online reviews is often for sale and is often stolen. Guys like SKYMTL spend countless hours testing stuff for our benefit. Working on reviews is not fun. If you don't want to do the work, then you shouldn't use other people's work without atleast giving proper credit. Piss on them for stealing and piss on people over thinking this topic.
Old July 11, 2008, 08:53 PM
Top Prospect

I'd like to quantum leap and change vinister's attitude. support your site. We are family here while I may never see SKY as Montreal is a ten hour or so drive from Hamilton, you can be sure that I will support this forum and the integrity that has been damaged by having an image stolen. This isn't about about just us. This is about Canadians as a whole. Done are the times of us bowing down, let the might canuck rise up and mow down our oppressors like the tree's the beavers use for their dams. Let us soar above the the clouds of the super information highway like the loons that use our red and white skies. Let us stand tall against the use of trademarked, copyrighted, watermarked etc. images like the moose that patrol our highways and our hearts. Canada, show your red and white. Drink a 24 of Canadian, walk across the border with no pants on and stand up for a violation. We are not just forum members. We are the lumberjacks, the hockey players, the beer drinkers, we put maple syrup in our hair and coffee when we have a bad day, we are the ones who go to Tim Hortons every day and they know our name. We are the forum members who stand up for our leaders and damn it most important of all

WE ARE CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!

:canadia nwave::c anadianwave::canadianw ave::can adianwave:

That is why this is a ten page thread, because Canada is dam well worth standing up for.

And I give this thread a:

for patriotism and dam good kick ass Canadianess'
~~~~~~~~~~Coolermaster Centurion 5~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old July 11, 2008, 10:36 PM
MVP
F@H

tgraszat14 that was truly an epic post.

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12
Old July 12, 2008, 04:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

Truly, I must say, captures it pretty well for me.

Iím going to Hamilton today, not sure what Iíll find now!
(yes I do, lots of this, big send off for friend going back for a third tour in afghanistan.)
Old July 12, 2008, 08:51 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

First bookmarked this site after your excellent 4870 review and found out about this story from your "latest news" section and I must say you could not have handled this better IMHO.

Like another posted a few days ago...good content, Canadian, and people who seem to do things the right way...think I'll check out your site and the forums a little more often.

Good Dam job!
Fold for team #54196
Old July 12, 2008, 09:13 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

All right everyone, I am going to take a "quantum leap" and say that this thread has run its course. I don't want it to degenerate into anything else at this point since I think everyone has had their say, have brought up very good points and have shown support for this site.

Whether positive or negative, what you had to say has been heard loud and clear.

Thread closed.

Closed Thread