and in the words of Dr. Sam Beckett "oh boy"
oh please no more Quantum Leap quotes
Old July 11, 2008, 03:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
<SNIP>
All in all, I fail to see how WE raised a big stink about this.......
I do not think Vinster was pointing the we-stick at you, Sky, or at the HWC staff who have remained notably absent. I think he meant the forum community(s). You, Sky, have been level headed about this from the get go. That said, I am happy to see I am not alone in thinking that this circle jerk is going a bit far in certain areas. I am continuing to put my thoughts together and will post further details later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
i just think its great to know that if i steal vinisters car, he wont make a big stink about it lol afterall, its just a single car
You can get me a working car for a single photo of computer parts? Where do I sign up?
Old July 11, 2008, 05:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

if it was big you would have seen it on fudzilla
Old July 11, 2008, 06:34 AM
Top Prospect

hey whats wrong with quantum leap? setting right what once went wrong lol?
seriously though it was a good show!
~~~~~~~~~~Coolermaster Centurion 5~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old July 11, 2008, 09:20 AM
MVP
F@H

I don't know guys, I'm just saying, a 10 page thread about something this trivial (in the scope of things), we are putting more energy into solving this 'crisis', when it really is a silly immaterial act that really isn't hurting anyone. Are your feelings hurt? What are you out, maybe a few dollars for banner clicks? Was your reputation hurt or something? Come on, there are more important things going on in the real world to worry about. I am not talking to anyone in particular, just 'the situation'.

And my car did get stolen once, and I found it a couple weeks later, and no I didn't really care so much. So what, I gave some crackheads a ride across town and 10 bucks of gas. Big deal, life goes on dudes! Lets have a 10 page thread about something important!

Of course I am my own enemy since I'm on here talking about it too. Let me say again, I do love this site and I think the admins do a perfect job etc etc, this is in no way a rant to the ppl of HWC.
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old July 11, 2008, 09:28 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Intellectual property is extremely important in this industry and this sets a precedent. It is not the fact that it happened to only HWC, but also Techpowerup as well and perhaps other sites we don't know about. It has nothing to do with money in our pockets or we would have gone the lawyer route first; it is about the fact that someone thought what they did would fly under the radar and then when caught denied over and over again what they did.

We work to get the pictures we do and post the high quality content up. If anyone would be allowed to waltz in here and take our work without giving us credit in the least bit, everyone would start. Like I said, it sets a precedent. "One little picture" is the tip of a very large iceberg. That iceberg is something the whole industry and community should be extremely afraid of since it impacts them as well. I think everyone's comments reflect that since they seem to realize what something like this (if left unchecked) will do to serious harm to this and other sites.
Old July 11, 2008, 09:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree with SKYMTL. I do reviews for another website (Techgage) and since we don't get paid for these reviews we are basically doing them for the love of it. Sure we get to keep the hardware, but I'd say I kill 25% or so of what I review, and more than 50% of what I review is not worth selling. The few items I do part with are a drop in the bucket. It takes alot of work and effort to post a real review, especially a GPU review. I do mostly heatsinks and cases and the amount of picture work and rework is incredible. This is not just about a little picture, it is about someone stealing something that does not belong to them. I have been watching this and anyone that doesn't think this is a big deal just does not have a clue at all and need to not comment in that fashion. With the amount of effort SKYMTL puts in his reviews, the least he could expect is proper credit for images/substance used. I am on your side 110%.

Last edited by b1lk1; July 11, 2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old July 11, 2008, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That, plus it's a douche move.
Old July 11, 2008, 11:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
<SNIP>This is not just about a little picture, it is about someone stealing something that does not belong to them. I have been watching this and anyone that doesn't think this is a big deal just does not have a clue at all and need to not comment in that fashion.
orly? The thesis seems to be that this guy took HWC/Sky's work, for profit, and gave no credit. This seems a little vague to me and warrants a lot more exposition. If 3GM had been DMCAed by Fox for taking the 13 seconds of FF4:RSS footage, for profit, without crediting it, do you really think the response here would have been, "right on - you go Fox - protect your rights"?

Before you say it, it is not that same thing. That is part of my point. There are a lot more factors that need to be talked about and are not being talked about here. Do not get me wrong; this is not a defense of 3GM. It is a warning to those who think that trotting out the lawyers is something like blowing your nose. IANAL but I have looked into this area a lot and I doubt, for a variety of reasons, you could make a case here. If you are a copyright lawyer or have been involved with a similar case that has actually gone to trial please tell the story.
Old July 11, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All I am going to say is it's freaking stealing pure and simple.

Think about it.

If you let someone steal from you and do nothing about it then there will definitely be a next time. And if you did nothing then you deserve be ripped off.

@ Vinster: I would be concerned about getting your car stolen, for 1 getting to and from work would suck:), 2 if said crackheads would have say run someone over guess what you could be sued for any damages, Oh you have insurance you say read the fine print, your car was involved in a illegal activity , you have no insurance it's invalid. Sure they will pay to have your car replaced/repaired but they wont payout for damages to the victim.

I have family that a few months ago something like that happened to them , it was a stolen car the driver drove into the side of my family members house, their options, pay it out of there pocket, claim it on their house insurance ( that raises their rates ), sue the driver ( he's a crackhead so whats the point he has nothing) or sue the owner of the car......... guess whom they are suing?

I am in no way singling you out just thought you should be aware of the ramifications of what could have happened to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Closed Thread