Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2007, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus: NVIDIA's 650i goes Dual x16: review by Anandtech

A good review of a good board with the Nvidia hybrid 650i chipset, and now two PCIe X16s- Anandtech will soon follow up this article with further testing results.

We really like this board, so much so we are awarding it a Silver Editors' Choice Award. More
importantly, we appreciate the fact that ASUS went to the trouble of designing and producing it at a time when 680i boards were selling well north of $250. ASUS has engineered a unique solution that performs better and costs less than most 680i motherboards. While the 680i LT SLI has taken a certain amount of air out ASUS' sails, we still believe this board offers the best overall combination of features, quality, and performance in a 680i level board for under $200.

We did not have too many issues with the board over a grueling six week test schedule. The overclocking aspects of the board do not reach the same levels as other 680i boards and will probably not satisfy the extreme overclocker or a user needing high FSB speeds with a quad core processor. However, the overclocking abilities of this board will satisfy the majority of users and stock performance in most applications and games is nothing short of amazing with the right memory installed.

Memory performance is exceptional for an NVIDIA based Intel chipset, and our internal tests reveal a 23% advantage in Sandra unbuffered test results. This memory performance directly influences the test results we witnessed across a variety of benchmarks. The issue is that a user will need high performance memory to take advantage of the tight sub-timings that ASUS has designed into the BIOS. We certainly recommend fairly low latency memory for this board along with the capability of running at 1T Command rates around the DDR2-800 level.

In all honesty, the performance differences between our budget memory modules and the higher performing modules were usually less than 5% in extended testing"

More from Anandtech

Last edited by Babrbarossa; April 3, 2007 at 09:31 AM.