Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2007, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default OCZ SLI pc 7200 memory reviewed by TechGage

They overclocked these bad boys by 33% which is impressive, but it seems that the 8500 version of these modules can be had for even cheaper- Not too long ago NCIX had the wrong price on the OCZ SLI memory, charging about 500 bucks for a pair, but that has long since been fixed and they are very affordable right now.

"When OCZ first released their XTC heatspreaders in late 2005, who knew what was to follow? Since that time, we've seen many spreaders based off of the XTC and some entirely new ones, such as the Flex XLC and Reaper HPC. The kit we are looking at today takes care of something I've wanted ever since I first laid eyes on the XTC... the color. To me, nothing looks cooler than black, whether it be the product itself or the PCB. Sadly, the PCB on these modules are not the same color as the spreader... but hey, we can't have it all.
Last year, I had taken a look at an incredibly similar kit to this one. In fact, it has the same specs, the only difference is the black spreader. It was not until I received these new ones that I realized how similar they were. This could be a good thing though. The Platinum 7200 was one of my favorite kits of last year. They looked great and offered extreme performance for the price. I am hoping to be equally impressed today."

More from Tech Gage

Last edited by Babrbarossa; April 2, 2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old April 2, 2007, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HA! I just checked NCIX, and they're still asking $519 (I thought they had lowered it at some point)- guess you won't be picking these up there.....

That must be an outright mistake- especially when you can pick up the 8500 version at Canada Computer for $289- well at least NCIX price-matches

Last edited by Babrbarossa; April 2, 2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old April 2, 2007, 03:11 PM
Top Prospect

The 7200 kit is expensive because it's "rare" as far as memory kits go. NewEgg doesn't have any in stock, and Zipzoomfly (both US sites) has only a few. There are far more of the PC2-8500 versions around, which are why they are so much cheaper.

Supply and demand makes no sense sometimes. $500 is insane... but $289 for the 8500 version is much easier to stomach and should be worth it. They are a tad cheaper in the States, but Canucks get ripped off.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.20GHz, ASUS P5K Premium WiFi-AP, OCZ 8GB PC2-6400, EVGA GTX 285 1024MB
Seagate 500GB, 750GB & 1TB, Pioneer 22x ODD, Corsair 1000HX, Thermalright Ultra-120, CM Storm Sniper
Dell 2408WFP 24", ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Ultrasone PRO 750, Gentoo Linux (KDE 4.4, 2.6.32 Kernel)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Profiles: Last.fm | Xbox Live | Steam