Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2017, 04:09 PM
Groove's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa(ish)
Posts: 360

My System Specs

Default Quick history lesson on AMD and it's CPUs

I enjoyed this article from pc perspective, thought I'd share it with you guys.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editor...Art-CPU-Design

Definitely bring back memories of my 1Ghz Thunderbird, Athlon days and my FX-62.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2017, 04:34 PM
Bond007's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Down under
Posts: 4,352

My System Specs

Default

Interesting read. I had a family computer growing up that was Intel, but the first PC that was truely mine was an Athlon 1700+ that I got in Feb 2002 (if I remember correctly) while in university. I ran that CPU for a LONG time.
__________________
Desktop: Arc Midi R2, Z77-D3H, 3570K 1.09v/4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance [email protected], XFX R9 280X DD, Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2017, 05:13 PM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,351

My System Specs

Default

Ahhh the good old days of wire modding, pencil mods, ect. Was goodtimes. Sooo many good cpus, Tbirds, Tbreds, Optys. Nowadays everything is "just click this button to OC" or follow so-in-so's guide..

Think my old NF-4 board was the funest TBH.
__________________
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2017, 05:18 PM
Groove's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa(ish)
Posts: 360

My System Specs

Default

I actually didn't remember that Intel tried to enable DDR SDRAM on their boards back during the Rambus days with a "memory translation module". Sounds like a frickin headache if you ask me.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2017, 05:46 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 16,747

My System Specs

Default

Only proc I've ever fried was a t-bird (don't remember if it was a 1Ghz or an 800). Cut my OC teeth on semprons and was proud to have made it into DFIStreet's 3G club with my 3700 (back when OCZ was making some kickarse memory sticks..... ;) ).
__________________
Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI / i7 4770K / 2X 8G Gskill 1866 Sniper / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+
AZZA Titan 240 / Custom WC / Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2017, 06:37 PM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
I actually didn't remember that Intel tried to enable DDR SDRAM on their boards back during the Rambus days with a "memory translation module". Sounds like a frickin headache if you ask me.
It was AND finicky as all hell. IIRC it came down to the mem modules on the RAM and if they would play nice or not... and since the 'net was young it was a bitch and half finding out what would work as there wasnt really an 'approved list'... and hoping the ram mfg'er hadnt silently swapped out the mem modules for a dif company.
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; February 28, 2017 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2017, 07:27 PM
turtletrax's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton(ish)
Posts: 870

My System Specs

Default

Remember when I got my first AMD system. It was a 1900+ with an ATI x800 AIW. Buddy had a Hella expensive Intel machine with x800 XT and he considered himself God's gift to computers. I wiped the floor with his framerates, and he was ultra pissed off. I loved it so much!

Second favorite rig was x2 4400 at 2.92ghz with a ATI X850 XT PE that did 650core/650mem. So much fun to OC. I miss those days too. Hope that AMD stops its sole diet of hind tit milk and swamp water.
__________________
"The thing about internet quotes is you can not confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2017, 07:33 PM
Lysrin's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,481

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
Remember when I got my first AMD system. It was a 1900+ with an ATI x800 AIW. Buddy had a Hella expensive Intel machine with x800 XT and he considered himself God's gift to computers. I wiped the floor with his framerates, and he was ultra pissed off. I loved it so much!

Second favorite rig was x2 4400 at 2.92ghz with a ATI X850 XT PE that did 650core/650mem. So much fun to OC. I miss those days too. Hope that AMD stops its sole diet of hind tit milk and swamp water.
You just never know what you're going to read on this site! Well said Sir!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2017, 07:58 PM
turtletrax's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton(ish)
Posts: 870

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysrin View Post
You just never know what you're going to read on this site! Well said Sir!


Not sure if I am bitter, but I really couldn't support AMD when it made mistake after mistake and then paper launch after paper launch, then missed deadline after missed deadline then fired anyone with any talent. I don't feel bad for them one bit. Only thing I feel sorry for is my bank account. I hope then grind prices down, and after they have done that and earned some respect back I will consider them again.

Hope they can bring the noise with Vega too and take some wind out of Nvidia as well.
__________________
"The thing about internet quotes is you can not confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2017, 08:06 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 16,747

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post


Not sure if I am bitter, but I really couldn't support AMD when it made mistake after mistake and then paper launch after paper launch, then missed deadline after missed deadline then fired anyone with any talent. I don't feel bad for them one bit. Only thing I feel sorry for is my bank account. I hope then grind prices down, and after they have done that and earned some respect back I will consider them again.

Hope they can bring the noise with Vega too and take some wind out of Nvidia as well.
Heh... for me the first sign of trouble was when they announced they were going to stop S939 production in favour of AM2 when it didn't appear to me that there were any real benefits to the end user other than having to switch over to a new memory format.

I still dipped my toes into the AMD pool for everything other than AM2 right up until BD though so it can't be said that I didn't try to help them along.... :)
__________________
Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI / i7 4770K / 2X 8G Gskill 1866 Sniper / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+
AZZA Titan 240 / Custom WC / Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FS] 34" UltraWide 1440p Goodness and other stuff TheDarkLord Buy/Sell & Trade 57 September 17, 2017 09:42 AM
A Great Lesson on Stress KaptCrunch Off Topic 9 May 4, 2013 03:33 PM
BF3 Community Lesson Night: TBA Supergrover Gaming 53 November 23, 2011 02:05 PM
Lesson learn.... Alpine Off Topic 14 May 15, 2011 06:43 PM
Clean your Rads. A lesson Cptn Vortex Water Cooling 23 June 20, 2009 01:44 AM