Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2008, 09:29 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default DDR3 RAM: System Memory Technology Explained @ BmR

Olin over at Benchmark Reviews has posted an interesting article detailing the ins and outs of the new craze in memory: DDR3.

For those of you looking for a primer to DDR3 this may well be a good read for you:

DDR3 RAM: System Memory Technology Explained | DDR3,DDR3 RAM,DDR3 Technology,XMP,Fly-by,DDR3 RAM: System Memory Technology Explained | Benchmark Reviews Performance Tests

Old May 13, 2008, 01:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

Good writeup, I must say. There are way too many web postings to the effect of "omg save ur cash dood! DDR2-800 C4 is the same as DDR3-1600 C8 !!11!", and it would be kind of nice to hear the other aspects of the memory being being discussed in-depth.

I was a little disappointed that the article doesn't fully address the cost/real-world performance issue, which is still pretty poor. I suppose that, after reading the opening paragraph, I got my hopes up a little much.

A few months back, I was scouring the web like crazy to try and find articles justifying DDR3 for the my most recent rig, and I was ready to throw down a sizable wad of cash. But despite the features that DDR3 brought to the table, they simply didn't translate into enough real-world improvements for me. So DDR2 this time around.

I fully expect my next rig to be using DDR3, but I also expect my next rig be Bloomfield-based. By that time, memory manufacturers will probably manage a process-shrink, basic economics and time will lower the prices (especially on larger modules), and Intel's QPI will likely help pull a couple extra points of performance out of such memory.

Until then, DDR2 still has a pretty good sales pitch.