Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2007, 09:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default EVGA 680i: review by Bjorn3D

I'm not sure if they were using the A1 revision in this review, but they were using the latest p26 Bios. Reaching an impressive 495 MHz FSB at 6X and 437.5 at 8X (3.5 GHz) on stock voltages and stock cooling with an e6400, the board demonstrated it's overclocking prowess and earned Bjorn's seal of approval.

"NVIDIA used to be the kings of motherboard chipsets for the AMD platform. While they did release some chipsets for the Intel platform their true focus lay on creating the best possible chipsets for the AMD CPU’s. That is until two things happened. Number one is of course the success of the Core 2 Duo from Intel. Unless you are a real Intel fanboy there is no denying that AMD used to have the CPU’s that gave the most bang for the buck for a long time. This however changed with the Core 2 Duo. Suddenly enthusiasts where starting to flock over to the Intel camp buying all sorts of Intel i965 and i975 motherboards. Naturally NVIDIA wants a piece of that cake to. The second reason is of course the fact that AMD went and bought ATI. It wouldn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that NVIDIA not necessarily would like to indirectly only support their only real competitor in the video card market."

More from Bjorn 3D
Old March 23, 2007, 12:36 AM
Rookie

ya, all the reviews of this board have been pretty good and about the only thing better is the Asus Striker, which uses the same chipset, but is a bit costly. this is the best after that one. nice to see EVGA making some buttkicking motherboards.
Old March 23, 2007, 10:02 AM
Allstar

A lot of unhappy customers on EVGAs forums though
Personally I think I'd go for the Asus P5N-E 650i board.
Old March 23, 2007, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's not a good cross-section though- Happy people are playing games and enjoying their computers and not posting on the company's website- The main purpose of the forum is to offer user support for people with trouble. There have definately been problems (I haven't really had any) but they are getting ironed out.

The Asus P5NE is definately a great value and a good board, but don't count on getting the service that you would with evga.