Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2014, 06:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Mantle drivers fixed and sent out to reviewers

As the title states. Supposedly the last minute bug was fixed and reviewers now have the drivers. To be released to public soon (not specified when).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd...oad,25927.html

Still curious to see what real world gains all this hype and rumours lead to.
Old February 7, 2014, 02:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A tasty preview of what to expect here AnandTech Portal | Battlefield 4 Mantle Performance Preview
It seems beneficial for lower end CPUs, owners of i5 or better CPUs will not likely see too much improvement, under 10%, while the benefit for an i3 is said to boost to 25%! Results obtained with a 290X though.
Old February 7, 2014, 05:22 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I really dont get the thinking behind this. Who pairs a low grade CPU to a high end GPU?! If you can afford the price of a 290X you can certainly afford the extra $150 for the i7 over an i3!

Guess Mantle really is all about the APUs where its a mediocre CPU combo'ed to a mediocre GPU. Damn shame really and looks like all the hype was not warranted (Ive seen bigger game improvements via driver optimization). Hope Im wrong and this is just them working out the bugs...but if it is one team that can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...its AMD's driver team. :S

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 7, 2014, 06:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've said it before, but bears repeating. Consoles.
Old February 7, 2014, 08:26 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Doesn't fix the massive stuttering....
Old February 7, 2014, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I really dont get the thinking behind this. Who pairs a low grade CPU to a high end GPU?!
I have to agree with you, but I think the rationale is somewhere else. Powerful CPUs do the work by themselves already, even with the "inefficient" DirectX drivers. I think this is more geared towards lower power systems, like let's say an Athlon X3 or X4 or a Pentium or a run of the mill APU. Pair a low grade CPU with a Radeon 7770 let's say and you really have an advantage there. The whole 1080p gaming at 30FPS that AMD is aiming for would get some boost using Mantle. Sure, we are at the beginning, and like any beginning there are issues with the drivers, but it would have been nice to have seen what kind of improvements this would do for gaming with an AMD APU and it's integrated graphics. I guess we have to wait a little for that. Would also be interesting to see what happens when you game with the APU alone at 720p, forget 1080p, who games at 1080p on an APU anyway? Maybe add a discrete low power card in the mix and see the result.
Also, with no high power CPU in the roadmap, (no wonder, with Steamroller being almost stillborn ) maybe AMD will take another road, and tweak the Jaguar architecture to include dual channel RAM access, like "semi-custom" PS4 and XBOX APUs and probably drop the IGP part for a desktop SKU. In this case a working Mantle would really be a tool to offset the IPC difference to Intel and take advantage of the additional cores.

Last edited by MARSTG; February 7, 2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old February 7, 2014, 10:36 AM
MVP

For the record, I do not support Mantle. I think a GPU specific API is backwards. But with that said..

One reason why games usually aren't CPU limited is because most PCs and consoles have relatively weak processors. As anyone who follows the PC space knows, consumers now buy new PCs at a slower rate than before.

So while Mantle doesn't currently make sense for most of us, it may make sense to most of the market. What would have been a $500-600 upgrade may now be $200-400. This is huge in the low end.

IIRC, BF4 is not a complete implementation of Mantle. I believe it only takes advantage of Mantle optimizations related to CPU use. I believe as we see better implementations, we will see a greater range of improvements.
Old February 7, 2014, 10:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Iv recently downloaded star swarm demo it has a option for mantle wonder if you can keep stress testing with it and getting new drivers to see if mantle can be more then a benchmark api or apu booster.
Old February 7, 2014, 10:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I've said it before, but bears repeating. Consoles.
This. If they can take games playing at 30 FPS on the PS4 and XB1 and bump them to 40 or 45 it will make a HUGE difference in playability and gamer experience. However, a free 7% increase in FPS on GPU bound PC games is nothing to be sneezed at either.