Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2013, 12:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Benchmarks AMD Radeon R9 290X Versus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 @ Legit Reviews

Benchmarks - AMD Radeon R9 290X Versus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 - Legit Reviews

Old October 17, 2013, 12:22 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I'll go on record. Meaningless.
Old October 17, 2013, 01:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I'll go on record. Meaningless.
mostly because they are using 'quiet mode'.
These were probably under powered 290x's so the results we're seeing here are not going to scale to what the actually GPU is capable of.

Its like they slapped a 60kmph governer on a sportscar and said "do laps"

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old October 17, 2013, 01:52 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

There's literally no perf difference between the two modes. It's just something to muddy the waters for no reason whatsoever.
Old October 17, 2013, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
There's literally no perf difference between the two modes. It's just something to muddy the waters for no reason whatsoever.
No fan speed limiter or anything in 'quiet mode'? Nor any plans to add something like this? Kinda seems retarded to add it then.
Old October 17, 2013, 02:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

If the R9 290X was not waster that GTX 780, then it would be awfull shame for AMD, given the HW specs. Still, the performance differences are somewhat trimed down from what is expected that the hardware show. If that was speed comparsion to Titan, then well, that should be about right.
But to "just" a GTX 780? This is somewhat "slow"...

But one way or another, we are getting close to the release date. Cannot wait for well optimized drivers and BF4 using Mantle benchmark. Because if the engine is well designed for it (there is good to bare in mind, that this is the FIRST attempt to use Mantle and premiere of the Mantle itself), then there is no chance anything from nVidia come even remotely close to matching the performance.
Old October 17, 2013, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
There should be a giant difference, 290X hits thermal ceiling so much faster with 34% fan. "Uber mode" should remove almost all throttling... giant difference on stuff like Unigine, AvP. Long benchmarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
No fan speed limiter or anything in 'quiet mode'? Nor any plans to add something like this? Kinda seems retarded to add it then.
Quiet mode (one of the BIOS switch options) limits fan speed to 34% (should be identical acoustics to a Titan/780). The unlocked/"Uber" mode just makes the speed limit something like 50%. It makes a big difference as far as throttling goes, especially for people with high ambient temps or playing intensive games. For benchmarks, not so much difference since the cards are always warming up.
Old October 17, 2013, 02:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

AMD messed with their own NDA?
Old October 17, 2013, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas View Post
If the R9 290X was not waster that GTX 780, then it would be awfull shame for AMD, given the HW specs. Still, the performance differences are somewhat trimed down from what is expected that the hardware show. If that was speed comparsion to Titan, then well, that should be about right.
But to "just" a GTX 780? This is somewhat "slow"...

But one way or another, we are getting close to the release date. Cannot wait for well optimized drivers and BF4 using Mantle benchmark. Because if the engine is well designed for it (there is good to bare in mind, that this is the FIRST attempt to use Mantle and premiere of the Mantle itself), then there is no chance anything from nVidia come even remotely close to matching the performance.
Well, I really hope so! But as Mantle will come to BF4 only in December, and the way AMD is "acting up" right now, maybe we won't get a preview of mantle-optimized BF4...

Trust me, it would be awesome, and I strongly hope that we get a taste of MANTLE in the initial reviews!!!!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old October 17, 2013, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The only benchmarks released so far have been Tombraider and Bioshock and R9 290X wins them both handily... I'm guessing they were handpicked and the titan/ 780 do better in other games.