Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 03:40 PM
yamawho's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Rosemere, Qc, Canada
Posts: 860
Default

Decided to pickup a 7750 black edition and a asus M3N78-VM today

It says 140 watt CPU support on the mobo box

Wanted to get a 5200 at 65 watts but couldn't pass up on the 7750 BE.

Getting bored with all the Intel systems lately ... time for something different.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 03:55 PM
encorp's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,425

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
That, and the fact this thread is over one year old



Again, this issue has been long gone.
Haha yeah I wasn't really sure why it was bumped up but it made for good reading at work lol
__________________
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 04:00 PM
Mr. Gruntsworthy's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Courtice, ONT
Posts: 738
Default

I think for my next computer project, I'm going to build an AMD machine, just for something different. I might make an AMD machine to serve as my File Server :)

Since AMD's more for budget building, it seems it would be well-suited to the server task.

Glad the issues were solved tho--wouldn't want Intel's only source of competition to be written out of existence!

Intel for the win.
__________________
MAIN RIG:
Case: Antec 900
CPU : Intel E8400 45nm Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz 1333MHz FSB
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 04:02 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,493

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
That, and the fact this thread is over one year old



Again, this issue has been long gone.
In fairness to the poster... has the issue been resolved with any of the older motherboards? I haven't run AMD for quite a while so I don't know for sure if that's a fact.

That's the information the poster is looking for, and he can't find it on the ASUS website. We should be commending him for doing a forum search rather than giving him a hard time about reviving an older thread which is related to his question. :)
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 09:05 PM
Phobia's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,148
Default

Quick question. My brother is going to get a phenom x4 940 (its on sale at ncix right now). What is a good and cheapish motherboard for him?
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old March 20, 2009, 09:36 PM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
In fairness to the poster... has the issue been resolved with any of the older motherboards? I haven't run AMD for quite a while so I don't know for sure if that's a fact.
Heh, to be fair(I can be fair sometimes ), I did look it up and it seems that while some 780G based boards built BEFORE the 130watt Phenoms can support it with a bios update, most of them to this day cannot use a Phenom CPU. That being said, any board built since then(incident) should be able run and use a Phenom quad core with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
That's the information the poster is looking for, and he can't find it on the ASUS website. We should be commending him for doing a forum search rather than giving him a hard time about reviving an older thread which is related to his question. :)
Perhaps, perhaps not, its just annoying to see a year old thread pulled up, though maybe we were a bit harsh. Either way, the CPU support list came up as the 2nd result in Google, and to answer his question directly, no his motherboard does not support Quad Core Phenoms.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...model=M2NPV-VM
__________________
"Let's face it, we're not changing the world. We're building a product that helps people buy more crap - and watch porn."
Bill Watkins, CEO Seagate Technology

Dual Xeon X5650 @ 4.1GHz | EVGA Classified SR-2
2x4GB G.Skill at 1496MHz (9-9-9-24) | XFX 4890 XXX 1GB at 1000/1000MHz
Intel SSD X25-M 80GB Gen2 | Western Digital 1TB Black | SilverStone Zeus 1200W
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Sony MDR-V700 | Windows Seven x64


Stuff for Sale! You must buy it, you can't look away!

Last edited by Chilly; March 20, 2009 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old March 22, 2009, 04:39 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Read the entire thread... :) It explains this exactly.
the m2npv-vm is not a 780G mobo
its a nforce 430 mobo
and cheator is saying that the phenom works on it even though it is not on the supported cpus list
so i want to know whether he actually tested it or not
he makes it sound as though he tested it!
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old March 22, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,221

My System Specs

Default

AMD is slowly sinking - I have never liked AMD's chipset in the first place - they have much more to worry other than this lack of communications and f*ck-up on their part, they are part to blame too not just the board makers who use shoddy materials - With NVIDIA chipsets being the target of major criticism and now on their way out, we are left with AMD, and to be honest I'd steer clear from AMD's chipsets, so I can a lot of Intel in people's futures, if at all this happens you can thank both AMD & NVIDIA jointly for screwing up and letting this happen.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old March 22, 2009, 02:48 PM
b1lk1's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lindsay, Ontario
Posts: 2,501

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
AMD is slowly sinking - I have never liked AMD's chipset in the first place - they have much more to worry other than this lack of communications and f*ck-up on their part, they are part to blame too not just the board makers who use shoddy materials - With NVIDIA chipsets being the target of major criticism and now on their way out, we are left with AMD, and to be honest I'd steer clear from AMD's chipsets, so I can a lot of Intel in people's futures, if at all this happens you can thank both AMD & NVIDIA jointly for screwing up and letting this happen.
8 months ago I would have agreed with you. Since then AMD has not only fixed these types of issues on every release since, they have also made the OEM's do a better job on their boards. Nvidia chipsets have been utter garbage for years, their last decent one was the NF4. AMD's chipsets have gotten better. The OEM's are the major blame for this OLD issue since they were the ones making the crappy boards and not using the AMD reference design. AMD should have forced more compliance with their reference design, I agree, but they were and have been focues heavily on the graphics market which has really powered their positive growth.

Intel has the major lead since they have been focused bigtime on chipsets since the beginning. All AMD needs to do is keep quietly plugging along and they will be fine. There is no logical reason to NOT buy AMD considering their speeds and prices are excellent value. Their current platforms are performing exceptionally well and considering they have even caught the C2D platform it looks to me like they have recovered nicely since the original Phenom flop.
__________________
MY HEATWARE
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old March 22, 2009, 03:10 PM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
8 months ago I would have agreed with you. Since then AMD has not only fixed these types of issues on every release since, they have also made the OEM's do a better job on their boards. Nvidia chipsets have been utter garbage for years, their last decent one was the NF4. AMD's chipsets have gotten better. The OEM's are the major blame for this OLD issue since they were the ones making the crappy boards and not using the AMD reference design. AMD should have forced more compliance with their reference design, I agree, but they were and have been focues heavily on the graphics market which has really powered their positive growth.

Intel has the major lead since they have been focused bigtime on chipsets since the beginning. All AMD needs to do is keep quietly plugging along and they will be fine. There is no logical reason to NOT buy AMD considering their speeds and prices are excellent value. Their current platforms are performing exceptionally well and considering they have even caught the C2D platform it looks to me like they have recovered nicely since the original Phenom flop.
Agreed. While it looks like AMD may not have an answer to i7 , they have done a good job with taking some of the thunder away from the C2D's with the Phenom II.

That said they are in for a world of hurt with the new Xeon EP's in the server world, which AMD has ruled due to NUMA. Now that Intel has its Nehalem Xeon EP with memory controllers built in coming out at the end of this month they need something new to combat it.
__________________
"Let's face it, we're not changing the world. We're building a product that helps people buy more crap - and watch porn."
Bill Watkins, CEO Seagate Technology

Dual Xeon X5650 @ 4.1GHz | EVGA Classified SR-2
2x4GB G.Skill at 1496MHz (9-9-9-24) | XFX 4890 XXX 1GB at 1000/1000MHz
Intel SSD X25-M 80GB Gen2 | Western Digital 1TB Black | SilverStone Zeus 1200W
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Sony MDR-V700 | Windows Seven x64


Stuff for Sale! You must buy it, you can't look away!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes