Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2013, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default SKY, can you confirm this? R9-290 launch delayed?

Alright,

I hope we can call the rumor bull...but who knows...it really annoys me, I was impatiently waiting for reviews on this...the Hardware scene is stagnant these days...

Maybe Sky can jump-in and give us some feed back!

And I'm ready to purchase on nov 15th for my next videocard upgrade....

(Update) AMD Radeon R9 290 series launch postponed | VideoCardz.com

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old October 13, 2013, 02:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

SKY is under NDA so he probably wouldn't be able to confirm that launch was supposed to be on the 15th as I believe that isn't even official AMD info just a leak. Even if launch is delayed you will probably get your benchmarks on the same day anyways so you will know if it is worth it to wait.
Old October 13, 2013, 03:11 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

There was no delay. AMD never confirmed when the launch was. You can't delay something that was never announced....
Old October 13, 2013, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
There was no delay. AMD never confirmed when the launch was. You can't delay something that was never announced....
somehow I knew this would be your answer before I even checked the thread ;)
Old October 13, 2013, 03:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
the Hardware scene is stagnant these days...
Uhm, excuse me, did not you noticed that the pricing of the mid-segment just get changed thanks to the new AMD graphic cards...? Stangnant? Far from it.
Old October 13, 2013, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sky,

Thx for clarifiying. As the article mentions that reviewers haven't received review units YET ( I know NDA forces you to stay mute on that), I find it sad that I might not have to read your review on this new R9-290x stuff...I need my fix of reading flagship cards reviews!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas View Post
Uhm, excuse me, did not you noticed that the pricing of the mid-segment just get changed thanks to the new AMD graphic cards...? Stangnant? Far from it.
Sry TRODAS,

I should've worded it different, because i couln't care less about mid-range price drops and refresh/rehash....the "scene" I'm refering to is "enthusiasts", you know flagship releases, game changers, exciting stuff....

BTW TRODAS, aren't you excited to see the CAPS/components on the R9-290X / nVIDIA 770Ti PCBs??? Just teasing ya.

Refreshed cards = nothing new here = stagnant to me....first proof of that, consider the first paragrah of every reviews on the R9-280X....every reviewer makes it clear from the get-go...REFRESH, just to clarify for everybody...

Also, price on 760s and 770s didn't drop one bit AT THIS POINT (we'll see in the next few weeks), the lower-end card's price drop doesn't give enthusiasts the itch to upgrade....it just helps the casual gamer to gain a few frames in year-old titles...

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; October 13, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old October 13, 2013, 10:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I know the reasoning to this, but sadly I am under an NDA and can't really divulge the reasons why.
Old October 15, 2013, 11:04 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I know the reasoning to this, but sadly I am under an NDA and can't really divulge the reasons why.
PM us the info.
Old October 16, 2013, 02:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

Quote:
i couln't care less about mid-range price drops
Good for you. But most cannot afford that hardware level, so they are quite happy with the price cuts

Quote:
aren't you excited to see the CAPS/components on the R9-290X / nVIDIA 770Ti PCBs??? Just teasing ya.
Nice caps indeed, but nice caps did not create a good card yet. You can throw it all away by just bad/lame bios limitations and driver issues, etc. There is no telling that the hardware will be good, unless we see it in action. There are still higher quality caps, but in the end - the eVGA GTX 780 Classified card looks like to have a massively dimensed VRM regulators, but with bios that did not allow to push the limits really seriously, it is all useless.

Not to mention that I did not checked out on the specifications of the switching mosfets on either card. It could be, that eVGA added plenty of mediocre components that in the end the VRM only looks like great, while in fact it can perform worser that 6 phase AMD R9 290X VRM.
You never know, unless you hook up a scope on the VRM output and see, what ripple you are getting in the voltage after the VRM... especially under load this could be VERY interesting.

However that is probably getting too technical for average reader.

But for enthusiasts crowd it could be very intersting, because that quality of the voltage tell you all about the quality of caps (there are fakes and even company as Apple put them into their machines sometimes!) and the switching mosfets - so the whole VRM can be sum-up in one mV information about voltage ripple on the output and under load.
(and comparing them could give companies huge incentives to design the VRM better and not to skip on components or design just for the "WOW" effect of 13 phases VRM, but design for the results)

While quality of the voltage did not directly means higher overclocking (on bad chip - no way, no matter how clean the voltage get), it is a good indication of overclocking possibility and the stability of the VRM in general.

That is what I would be interesed about, if I can afford the card (and have something to stick her into, lol) ...
Old October 16, 2013, 04:29 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
My theory : They're developing better drivers for release. warm or cold? :)