Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2013, 08:12 PM
Allstar

Default Editorial: Steamroller may not be AM3+

I'm in the middle of reading PCPER's editorial on AMD Fusion and saw this bit in the article

Quote:
To ready the market for Bulldozer support, AMD released the 990FX chipset family. The 990FX was simply a rebrand of the 890FX. They rebranded this to insure the change in VRM specifications from the AM3 to AM3+ socket infrastructure, so as not to confuse customers. During this time the decision was made to cancel the upcoming 1090FX northbridge and the SB1050 southbridge. This was the first real tip-off that AM3+ would not be a supported platform after a certain point.

This was later confirmed when roadmaps were released and showed that the Vishera lineup would be supported for the AM3+ platform throughout 2013 and 2014. The Steamroller architecture, which will be introduced with the Kaveri parts, will not be represented on AM3+. Steamroller does appear to be a big step up in both IPC and multi-processing as compared to Zambezi and Piledriver architectures. Sadly, for those users hoping for one last upgrade on the AM3+ platform, it looks like prospects of a large Steamroller based product on that platform are slim.
I seriously hope that's not the case as I already have a 970 chipped AM3+ waiting for an upgrade.

AMD's Processor Shift: The Future Really is Fusion | PC Perspective
Old September 6, 2013, 08:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really hope it is right i am dying for new amd boards :D
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old September 7, 2013, 03:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

New boards doesn't have to mean new socket though.. How many chip-sets are there for AM3 now?

Or is it more of a case of justifying a new board when the one you have will work?

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old September 7, 2013, 06:46 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
I really hope it is right i am dying for new amd boards :D
Haha Same, we had 990FX for eternity now.
Old September 7, 2013, 01:22 PM
Allstar

The only reason I really care is that I have a 1055T in a 970 board and I want to upgrade and move that 1055T back into a Formula CH4 and sell it. Steamroller was the only reason I hold off on Piledriver and Piledriver is the reason why I hold off on Bulldozer.
Old September 8, 2013, 06:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

AMD has a knack for making cpus compatible with new stuff!

I have a 770 mobo that runs ddr2 memory, and the processor, the x250 will run on my crosshair V with ddr3 memory!

I really hope that if they come out with a new chipset that steamroller still works in my crosshair V.
Old September 14, 2013, 09:43 AM
MVP

I'm still limping through with my 965BE and dead end 790x ddr2 board, been holding off upgrading until steamroller comes someday.

I even have 8GB DDR3 ram sitting in a drawer waiting for a jump to a new steamroller board.
Old September 26, 2013, 03:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think they're better off offering a new architecture with new chip. They are good at making sure people can still use new chips with old sockets but I think it's time they bring something completely new.
Old September 26, 2013, 11:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Personally, if I never fried my AM2+ ASUS board (M4N89 Deluxe or something) I would have never upgraded into the AM3+. If the performance justifies a new socket for the Steamroller chip/chipset then by all means, roll it out and get as much out of the chip as possible. For AMD's sake I hope it will not be a repeat of the Phenom (I) and (first gen) FX proc's.
Old December 11, 2013, 11:14 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Was really looking forward to 8-core steamroller CPUs. :(