Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   ADM 9xxx GPU's built on 28nm architecture? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/62874-adm-9xxx-gpus-built-28nm-architecture.html)

Caldezar August 24, 2013 02:33 PM

ADM 9xxx GPU's built on 28nm architecture?

I read the following:
AMD to reveal Radeon HD 9000 flagship GPU next month, slashes 7990 prices | Games industry news | MCV

...which started me digging a little. And lo and behold, I find numerous articles churning the rumor mill that Hawaii will be released in late September on the 28nm architecture...

I'm sorry if this is old news to everyone but me... but I'm confused. I don't understand what the strategy is here by AMD if this is accurate? With nVidia pretty much guaranteed to launch it's next platform early to mid next year on the 22nm architecture, AMD is setting themselves up to be behind the 8-ball. It also makes me wonder what they are going to be revealing as new technology on the 28nm that constitutes an entirely new lineup of cards?

Again... sorry if this is old news, but it's left me scratching my head.

ShinraCorp August 25, 2013 02:58 AM

That's ok, the news isn't that old. As for AMD's strategy in releasing it on Fall 2013 instead of Q1/Q2 2014. I can only think of one thing. To obliterate Intel and Nvidia by gloating the release of the PS4 and the Xbox ONE, on top of that the 9000 series cards. Nah I'm kidding, I seriously don't know why either if this is ever true.

Caldezar August 25, 2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinraCorp (Post 726134)
That's ok, the news isn't that old. As for AMD's strategy in releasing it on Fall 2013 instead of Q1/Q2 2014. I can only think of one thing. To obliterate Intel and Nvidia by gloating the release of the PS4 and the Xbox ONE, on top of that the 9000 series cards. Nah I'm kidding, I seriously don't know why either if this is ever true.

See... that's another piece of the puzzle that makes it even stranger. With a huge cash influx coming from the OEM and console deals they've made recently, they should be more capable of backing off for now and waiting to release a 22nm card. Unless they have so much cash that they decided to do both?

Bond007 August 25, 2013 06:18 AM

Maybe they will get their architectural changes out on the known 28nm for the Christmas push, and then get a shrunk version of it out as a new model once 22nm gets solid production flow (around the time Nvidia is releasing their next line). AMD could use a new high end chip to compete with Titan/GTX780...time will tell.

hero1 August 27, 2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond007 (Post 726137)
Maybe they will get their architectural changes out on the known 28nm for the Christmas push, and then get a shrunk version of it out as a new model once 22nm gets solid production flow (around the time Nvidia is releasing their next line). AMD could use a new high end chip to compete with Titan/GTX780...time will tell.

I think this makes the most sense. Time will tell indeed!:thumb:

SKYMTL August 27, 2013 01:46 PM

28nm is the only possibility. Volume shipments of 20nm will only start happening in late December.

hero1 August 27, 2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond007 (Post 726137)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 726575)
28nm is the only possibility. Volume shipments of 20nm will only start happening in late December.

So are we assuming that they will move straight to 20nm with their next cards?

Caldezar August 27, 2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 726575)

Whoops, I thought it was 22nm... my mistake.

Regardless, this is my whole point. Why not milk sales for a while longer and wait for the 20nm before releasing a new generation? I'm not sure what more they hope to squeeze out of the existing 28nm? I suppose time will tell.

SKYMTL August 27, 2013 02:29 PM

Because they need something to compete against NVIDIA NOW. Game bundles will only go so far. It also makes sense from an implementation standpoint: stick to 28nm now with their new architecture and iron out the kinks on a proven manufacturing process. Then release the refresh on 20nm and hope to God that's enough to compete against Maxwell.