Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   AMD Dual Graphics: Better Benchmarks,but Same Experience? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/62764-amd-dual-graphics-better-benchmarks-but-same-experience.html)

Bond007 August 19, 2013 03:14 PM

AMD Dual Graphics: Better Benchmarks,but Same Experience?

Tomshardware did a review of various AMD dual graphics setups (APU+dedicated).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mark,3583.html

Their conclusion is that it improves FRAPS (benchmarking), but not the gameplay experience.

enaberif August 19, 2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond007 (Post 725233)
Tomshardware did a review of various AMD dual graphics setups (APU+dedicated).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mark,3583.html

Their conclusion is that it improves FRAPS (benchmarking), but not the gameplay experience.

You trust those reviews? That is like saying you trust newegg customer reviews... :rofl:

Bond007 August 19, 2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 725235)
You trust those reviews? That is like saying you trust newegg customer reviews... :rofl:

Never said I trust them. I find tomshardware has interesting review ideas, but I take them with a grain (or box) of salt. Just posted it because I haven't seen a review like it before.

Cleeve August 19, 2013 11:15 PM

Why wouldn't you trust about it?

Is there a test parameter you specifically have an issue with, or have you simply dismissed it out of hand for no reason whatsoever?

stlouis1 August 20, 2013 04:34 AM

when I was shopping around for my htpc upgrade and settled on an A10-6800k, I recall the graphics performance being somewhat comparable to the 7750, according to they're numbers, its way off.

interesting increase in tomb raider with the 7750 in dual graphics, i've been pondering adding a 7750 to mine so I could play tomb raider and a few other more intensive titles

When I saw the difference in performance though, I wondered what speed of ram they were using and had to go back to the 2nd page and check, it's 1866, but why such high latency at CL 13-13-13-34

SKYMTL August 20, 2013 04:46 AM

Funny how AMD followers began foaming at the mouth in the comments about them not using the 13.8 beta drivers......when EVERY SITE said they wouldn't affect Dual Graphics performance....

Cleeve August 20, 2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlouis1 (Post 725320)
when I was shopping around for my htpc upgrade and settled on an A10-6800k, I recall the graphics performance being somewhat comparable to the 7750, according to they're numbers, its way off.

When I saw the difference in performance though, I wondered what speed of ram they were using and had to go back to the 2nd page and check, it's 1866, but why such high latency at CL 13-13-13-34

The high-end APUs have always been comparable to the 6670 DDR3, even with low-latency 2133 MHz RAM.

The 7750 is *far* more powerful than the A10-6800K's onboard graphics, always has been.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlouis1 (Post 725320)
interesting increase in tomb raider with the 7750 in dual graphics, i've been pondering adding a 7750 to mine so I could play tomb raider and a few other more intensive titles

A 7750 would help for sure, but better to use it in single card mode.

Sushi Warrior August 20, 2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 725322)
Funny how AMD followers began foaming at the mouth in the comments about them not using the 13.8 beta drivers......when EVERY SITE said they wouldn't affect Dual Graphics performance....

Dual graphics have been more or less abandoned until XDMA comes into future APU platforms... Dual graphics in the current config is a joke :whistle:

SKYMTL August 20, 2013 10:28 AM

Agreed. It's not like anyone would want to buy a brand new APU alongside a three year old GPU.

fortkentdad August 20, 2013 05:34 PM

This Anyone Did

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 725375)
Agreed. It's not like anyone would want to buy a brand new APU alongside a three year old GPU.

I bought the AMD - Dual-Graphics package, indeed due to an error on my part in not getting a 6670 with a displayport I ended up with two HD6670's in my system because I decided too late that I wanted a three screen array.

I can say that running in Dual-graphics mode is better than running with just the APU not paired up with a HD6670. I can compare running the APU + HD6670 vs crossfiring the two HD6670's I have in my rig. The results, not a big difference but the two HD6670's were slightly better in benchmarks than the dual-graphic set up but not enough to warrant buying two HD6670's.

Bottom line, a A10 + HD6670 is an improvement over a A10 and can be had for about $70 now.

If I were to redo this all over again I'm not sure I would go the APU route, but I'd have to weigh the cost - benefit. An A10 is $130ish + 70 HD6670 - costs about what a good graphics card will set you back, before you buy your CPU. So it depends, do you want to spend $130 - then the A10 is your best bet, $200, A10 still wins, got $400 to spend, then a better CPU + graphic card is better - it all depends on your budget. The APU is all about price point.

Having said all this I keep looking at the HD7800 series, 2 GB cards - I'm thinking about it. $180 might improve my system performance, but my current rig plays the racing games I have just fine, I run Dirt3, NFS Shift2 and Grid (original) in the higher graphics mode without any issues. Not sure how graphic intensive these games are but they display fine on my three scheens.