Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2013, 11:49 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The question is whether a heatsink will exist by then to dissipate the heat and keep these things under 100C.
Wow, it's almost as if the same things were said prior to X58's product launch. How are we ever going to cool those 130w i7 920 beasts!
Old June 18, 2013, 09:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
I'm assuming they're going to pull the same questionable practice of soldering the E version IHS to keep it OC friendly? It's the IHS/shitty TIM that's the problem, not Haswell itself.
It is really a combination of factors. Haswell itself included.
Most people I have seen have only taken 10 degrees off with a delid...it all depends.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 19, 2013, 06:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
It is really a combination of factors. Haswell itself included.
Most people I have seen have only taken 10 degrees off with a delid...it all depends.

-ST
I saw some pretty impressive drops in a few of the threads I've seen about it.

20C with lots of work to back it up.
20C here too.

The 10C could be people who used weaker TIM, lots of the results I've seen are using liquid ultra.
Old June 19, 2013, 03:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
I saw some pretty impressive drops in a few of the threads I've seen about it.

20C with lots of work to back it up.
20C here too.

The 10C could be people who used weaker TIM, lots of the results I've seen are using liquid ultra.
Guess it all depends on what kind of TIM you chose to use.
Most I have seen from 'regular' users was 10. And I still think its crazy that it needs to be done.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 19, 2013, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Guess it all depends on what kind of TIM you chose to use.
Most I have seen from 'regular' users was 10. And I still think its crazy that it needs to be done.

-ST
Yup, either inability to manufacture an on-spec heatspreader from the company responsible for making some of the most complex devices in the world or really bad cost cutting on the TIM side of things. Nobody else has ever had this issue! Only Intel... Just all seems fishy and in accordance with their "pay to overclock" model.

Tags
halo platform , haswell-e , intel , lga 2011-3 , x99 pch