Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3, 2013, 09:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default New CRTC wireless rules demand 2-year contract cap, unlocked phones

New CRTC wireless rules demand 2-year contract cap, unlocked phones - Technology & Science - CBC News

Quote:
The new code will allow consumers to:
  • Terminate their wireless contracts after two years without cancellation fees, even if they have signed on for a longer term.
  • Cap extra data charges at $50 a month and international data roaming charges at $100 a month to prevent bill shock.
  • Have their cellphones unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if they paid for the device in full.
  • Return their cellphones, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if they are unhappy with their service.
  • Accept or decline changes to the key terms of a fixed-term contract (i.e., two-year), and receive a contract that is easy to read and understand.
Looks like a victory on cellular companies for the consumer
Old June 3, 2013, 09:18 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Incoming QQ of epic proportions from the Bell, Rogers, et al.

Also, I may actually spring for a cell when these rules go into effect. I've never hated a phone more than my work blackberry.
Old June 3, 2013, 09:20 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Starting only on Dec 2nd 2013 apparently.

This is also in line with the rumors that had been flying for a while and one of the reasons why Rogers changed their wording last year in all their plans from a cancellation fee to a phone residual fee or something like that when you get a "free phone" with a 3 year contract. Same shit, it's just not called a cancellation fee anymore.
Old June 3, 2013, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
My contract ends in August and September... Bleh that sucks!
Old June 3, 2013, 10:14 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yup, expect seeing more companies using the "residual phone fee" instead of contractual termination fees.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:39 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post

This is also in line with the rumors that had been flying for a while and one of the reasons why Rogers changed their wording last year in all their plans from a cancellation fee to a phone residual fee or something like that when you get a "free phone" with a 3 year contract. Same shit, it's just not called a cancellation fee anymore.
It's not the same. They switched to a tab. So you only pay back what you owe on the device if you cancel before the end of the term. This sounds perfectly fair to me. The code of conduct also impacts tabs.

Most of the code of conduct is just protecting consumers from themselves. I've never understood why someone would whine about a 3 year agreement they chose to accept in exchange for a phone. If you don't like it, buy your phone outright! Problem solved. Excuse the pun, but nobody seems to take ownership of their decisions these days.

The real issue hasn't been addressed by the code of conduct: Customers who bring their own device pay too much. The service fees and the phone payments should be separated. For example, if your $0 phone is worth $500, you pay $21/month for your phone ($500/24) + plan fees - so someone who gets a free $500 phone would pay $71/month and someone who owns their device outright would pay $50 for an identical $50 plan.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
If you don't like it, buy your phone outright! Problem solved. Excuse the pun, but nobody seems to take ownership of their decisions these days.

The real issue hasn't been addressed by the code of conduct: Customers who bring their own device pay too much.
Really now... Your first comment that I clipped is shown to be a ignorant/bad comment by your own second comment that I clipped. "Oh, you don't like 3 year contracts, so spend an extra $500 for your phone so you can pay the same price for your plan as people who get a free phone. As a perk we won't make your phone locked to our network and you can switch with 1 month notice to any carrier you like."

Even with the new 10% discount for buying your phone outright, you'd have to spend over $130 a month on your phone bill to even see that discount come close to matching a subsidized phone. Plus, you can usually get a new phone after 2 years if you renew your contract (which basically makes it a 2 year contract if you like your company), making the deal even worse. If you get a phone that isn't a $500 subsidy, then it's not as bad of a deal, but either way it still stinks (still better than the 0% they used to offer).

One thing to note, is many companies now offer subsidized/cheaper plans with lots of features that are only available on phones that don't have a heavy subsidized price, so if you do buy your own phone and get them to give you that special plan + 10% off, you're starting to get a good deal.
Old June 3, 2013, 11:07 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Really now... Your first comment that I clipped is shown to be a ignorant/bad comment by your own second comment that I clipped.
I did not contradict myself at all. In my first statement that you quoted, I suggested that people shouldn't accept $0 phones if they don't agree with the terms. In my second statement, I suggest that those who don't receive a phone subisidy ($0 phone) should not indirectly pay the subsidy of others.

What's wrong with either of those statements?

The truth is, you're never getting a free phone. You pay for it in your service fees. What I'm saying is the phone payment and the service fee should be separated; and, of course, if you don't get a phone from the service provider, you don't pay the phone fee.
Old June 3, 2013, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The CRTC doing something to help consumers? Is this April 1st?
Old June 3, 2013, 11:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
The real issue hasn't been addressed by the code of conduct: Customers who bring their own device pay too much. The service fees and the phone payments should be separated. For example, if your $0 phone is worth $500, you pay $21/month for your phone ($500/24) + plan fees - so someone who gets a free $500 phone would pay $71/month and someone who owns their device outright would pay $50 for an identical $50 plan.
Agree there :)