Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3, 2013, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
The CRTC doing something to help consumers? Is this April 1st?
Don't you worry, robellus will just raise prices as soon as this takes effect, we didn't gain shit, and only when the CRTC starts enforcing anti competition laws (never) , anything they do is meaningless.
Old June 3, 2013, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

They'll get their money elsewhere. While the rest of my cell phone contract is good, it unfortunately includes a $12 fee for call display and a basic voice mail option. Tell me that isn't a markup in the thousands of percent.
Old June 3, 2013, 01:49 PM
MVP

I like that we'll be able to select our cancellation dates under the new code. No more 30 days notice. This will make switching providers easier.
Old June 3, 2013, 02:38 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Good that data cap costs are in place too, but right now carriers are looking to get these costs passed on to us in other ways. Hopefully we will at least see an end to these crazy data bills.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 3, 2013, 06:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Hopefully we will at least see an end to these crazy data bills.
$50 on local data and $100 on roaming data is still pretty damn high. Especially when the average bill is around $50-60 already.

As far as I can tell, all this stuff is just fluff to make the consumer think the CRTC is actually helping the people. We are still in the dark ages compared to most other developed countries. I don't think anyone else has ever had 3yr contracts to begin with. Let alone the exorbitant prices we pay.

And as mentioned in this thread, the big-three are already devising plans to workaround these "guidelines". Just look at the recent deal between Telus and Moblicity. A player that was trying to drive down prices and increase competition now no longer exists. I can't see Telus keeping the brand alive for long, at least not at the current prices. Pretty sure the Telus CEO has said on record that he will charge the highest amount he can that people are willing to pay. If people would buy a bottle of water for $100, he would sell it at that.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

there's also the business of only offering certain plans with certains phones. what if for some reason I wanted a smart phone without a data plan, bell/rogers won't do that.

I was looking at the galaxy S3, and can't carry over my 50$ plan to the S3 with bell because they only offer it with a single plan that's 80$ a month, so that's an extra 1080$ spent over 3 years, plus the 200$ish charge for the phone up front. Or I could buy the phone outright for 700$ and swap my sim card with my current plan that gives me everything I need, but not everyone has that money up front

either way, the cell phone companies will find a way to win, if they're forced to cut the maximum contract term to 2 years, I can only see them raising prices over that period, we probably lose either way
Old June 3, 2013, 09:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Like the new rule. Seems like there will be loopholes around it though. I hate contracts and prefer just to buy a phone outright. I'm glad to see some providers like Virgin offering a discount for owning your own phone.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old June 4, 2013, 05:45 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It's a victory for us and yet a defeat. Why? Because nothing in the code of conduit says anything about them jacking up their smartphone prices, which they'll definitely do. But at least we're on the same level as USA... which is a start I guess? I mean they're excuse for ridiculous high monthly fees is because of: "it's a smaller country with fewer potential customers" ok so we're 38 million Canadians right now soooooo that's why you're jacking up the prices? I suppose you could say the infrastructure is larger so it's another reason but it ain't... the CEOs of the big 3 are the ones who get paid the most in the developed world!

Remember when Harper and his goon squad said that they'll "open the wireless spectrum for new wireless companies only" ya well 5 years later they are all bought by the big 3... nice going Harper you just let the free market kill them.

I mean New Zealand is smaller than us but their prices are smaller as well. This Nokia Lumia 920 is offered for 39$ for 750 Mb of data, 150 minutes and 600 texts per month which 32$ Canadian dollars. Which to the average (unless you're a teenage girl) is pretty average.

Nokia Lumia 920 Black | Mobile | Telecom New Zealand

Last edited by ShinraCorp; June 4, 2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old June 4, 2013, 06:06 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

There's something you guys are missing.

If you read the actual ruling, the provider can CUT OFF data access once a cap is reached.

Basically, what will happen is what British telecoms are doing now: once the cap of say $50 is reached, they stop your data services and send you a text message asking if you agree to continue. If you say yes, they can continue charging. If you say no, you data will remain off until your next billing cycle.

This doesn't impose billing caps. It imposes a customer advisement policy. That's it.