Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   Steve Ballmer's Nightmare Is Coming True (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/58317-steve-ballmers-nightmare-coming-true.html)

botat29 December 5, 2012 04:27 PM

Steve Ballmer's Nightmare Is Coming True

Interesting article from Yahoo Finance , don't forget to look at the You Tube at the bottom of the article

"Almost one year ago today, we laid out the nightmare scenario for Microsoft (MSFT) that could lead to its business collapsing. After laying it all out, we concluded, "Fortunately for Microsoft, none of this is going to happen."

We were wrong.

Steve Ballmer's Nightmare Is Coming True - Yahoo! Finance

Jake_HT December 5, 2012 05:48 PM

Their problem is entering into the tablet world in the first place, and focusing the entirety of windows 8 on the tablet platform.

I knew this would happen, so did everyone else. I'll watch them burn until they release a proper windows 8 (9)? And will replace my wonderful windows 7.

Hell, even google (android) which is releasing fantastic tablets and amazing prices still can't really compete with the iPad yet, no way Microsoft is gonna do it out of the blue with their overpriced crap.

Too little too late. Stick with PCs, they're not going anywhere for a while.

SKYMTL December 6, 2012 06:43 AM

Microsoft guessed wrong. Pure and simple. They were under the impression their brand name would sell products. It isn't.

Not only did they alienate their core clientel (enterprise and businesses) with a pervasive touch-centric OS but they also didn't allow a proper-work around for limitations which were well documented during the Alpha and Beta testing stages. Let's be honest here; the mass market (ie: standard desktops, notebooks, etc.) makes up a fraction of Windows license sales. The real money is in the millions of Professional, Enterprise and Server licenses they sell and NONE of those markets wants to "touch" Windows 8 because of a per-pubescent, immature and frankly idiotic UI that doesn't suit professional markets in the least.

botat29 December 6, 2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 675812)
The real money is in the millions of Professional, Enterprise and Server licenses they sell and NONE of those markets wants to "touch" Windows 8 because of a per-pubescent, immature and frankly idiotic UI that doesn't suit professional markets in the least.

What about the decisions to add Metro to the servers ? The charm menu it's very nice on servers especially on a remote connection , unless you are on full screen, you can't use the win key to access the start page.

They are completely disconnect from the reality. In 2008 they start to offer a core version without GUI to gain a share of the Unix and Linux market users, and now bang, metro crap on server

kingnubian December 6, 2012 08:58 AM

Microsoft is a very large company and consequently, but not always, the decision making process from inception to market takes a long time. Unfortunately so does recovering from mistakes. Their "In All Markets One Size Fits All" attitude with Win8 and Metro is IMHO a very big mistake. Anyone irrespective of their size who wants to get in the Mobile market, tablet pc or cellphones, today faces a steep uphill battle to even match the incumbents, Ios & Android, let alone beat them at their game. The Microsoft name hold much less sway in these markets then I think Microsoft themselves even realized. Nokia has also dropped off severely since an Ex Microsoft exec took control and bet the farm on Windows phones. The Surface tablet while being a nice product falls short in both form and function of the Ipad and higher end Android Tablets such as the Asus Transformer Infinity, latest sSamsung products and Google's own Nexus 10 while having a price that does not inspire.

Microsoft is in need a a big dose of "Reality Check" and start seeing the market from the eyes of those who would use their products, not those who would have us use their products.

Squeetard December 6, 2012 09:11 AM

And now they are starting on hardware, thus screwing all their channel partners.

chrisk December 6, 2012 02:06 PM

Was talking to some people I work with in an enterprise environment, and something along the lines of 'when hell freezes over' and 'too expensive to retrain' was thrown around when referring to Windows 8.

NyteOwl December 6, 2012 03:49 PM

I've had three predominantly Windows using entities inquiring as to what would be involved and how much it would cost to switch their offices to Linux or OS X.

WiseWilson December 6, 2012 03:58 PM

The Tablets are simply overpriced to gain market share. The RT needed to launch a $100 -200 cheaper to undercut the competition and the pro is $200 too much. The plan should have been to make a profit on the apps and the second or third generation tablets not the first.

sf101 December 6, 2012 04:06 PM

Finding windows 8 to be clunky mostly.
why remove tons of heavily used windows xp-7 options such as a start bar for instance with no way to re add it if the user wants it there.

Wait you can buy a add on for that making windows 8 usable again.. but it will cost you another 4.99 .. no biggie unless your a corporation buying 5,000 licences. then it will cost you another 20k just to get a option and functionality your already used too having.

I've been using windows 8 at work mainly to familiarize myself more with how it works and i still find it clunky. no build leaves our shop without start 8 because our customers literally cant figure out how to do anything without it.

I deployed a unit when it first released and they couldn't even turn it off that's how un-intuitive it really is as a example.