Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2012, 05:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf101 View Post
Finding windows 8 to be clunky mostly.
why remove tons of heavily used windows xp-7 options such as a start bar for instance with no way to re add it if the user wants it there.

Wait you can buy a add on for that making windows 8 usable again.. but it will cost you another 4.99 .. no biggie unless your a corporation buying 5,000 licences. then it will cost you another 20k just to get a option and functionality your already used too having.

I've been using windows 8 at work mainly to familiarize myself more with how it works and i still find it clunky. no build leaves our shop without start 8 because our customers literally cant figure out how to do anything without it.

I deployed a unit when it first released and they couldn't even turn it off that's how un-intuitive it really is as a example.
Assuming that M$ doesn't "accidentally" break those third party kludges.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 6, 2012, 05:35 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Assuming that M$ doesn't "accidentally" break those third party kludges.
If Sinofsky was still there it will be probably done already

Why pay $ 5 for Start 8, Classic Shell do the same job for free.
Old December 13, 2012, 01:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Microsoft guessed wrong. Pure and simple. They were under the impression their brand name would sell products. It isn't.

Not only did they alienate their core clientel (enterprise and businesses) with a pervasive touch-centric OS but they also didn't allow a proper-work around for limitations which were well documented during the Alpha and Beta testing stages. Let's be honest here; the mass market (ie: standard desktops, notebooks, etc.) makes up a fraction of Windows license sales. The real money is in the millions of Professional, Enterprise and Server licenses they sell and NONE of those markets wants to "touch" Windows 8 because of a per-pubescent, immature and frankly idiotic UI that doesn't suit professional markets in the least.
Wasn't business going to skip windows 8 anyways? Most business only migrated to windows 7 in the last year to year and a half that I know of. Business often skips one OS because it's too expensive and too much of a headache to do all the IT work and compatibility, etc, to swap OS often.
Old December 13, 2012, 01:40 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yes and no. Yes many were skipping BUT it still impact MS as there is less incentive for long term software contracts. Why bother when win 8 is a failure and win 9 is a ? right now. THAT is going to cost them a lot of money as company's start thinking twice about renewals.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 16, 2012, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I can't remember where I read it. But there was a quote 'excuse' from a MS PR guy stating that most users didn't use the start button anyway.

I have never used a MS OS that had a start button and not used it. It's why it's called the start button. It's like owning a car and never using the key, just break the column and hot wire it right?
Old December 16, 2012, 06:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I can't remember where I read it. But there was a quote 'excuse' from a MS PR guy stating that most users didn't use the start button anyway.

I have never used a MS OS that had a start button and not used it. It's why it's called the start button. It's like owning a car and never using the key, just break the column and hot wire it right?
You might be thinking about the blog they put out explaining their thinking on doing away with the start button. It basically explained that they were improving the search feature so that folks would use it more, but no lovin at all for those of us who don't use the search feature.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised that their research showed the majority not using the start button. That said, the information they get back from users is limited to those folks who don't know enough to turn off the "microsoft user experience". They were probably really surprised when the majority of beta testers (generally more technically inclined) railed so hard against the lack of start button inclusion.

edit: I didn't re-read it, but I believe this is the blog I'm thinking of....

Evolving the Start menu - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Designing the Start screen - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Reflecting on your comments on the Start screen - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; December 16, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

microsoft user experience.....Heh, I forgot it even had that. That's the first thing that gets tossed when I do a clean install of windows.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's also pretty interesting that one of the main comparisons they used to justify their vision was the difference between usage of certain start folders in Vista vrs Win7.... well duh!!!!! Of course there was a huge difference, the enthusiast and corporate community were finally back on board for the win7 results, they were mostly still running XP when Microsoft got their Vista data. The Vista Data was again mostly from folks who didn't know better.

Old December 16, 2012, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Uh huh. And as someone else pointed out, if they had just added touch capability to it whilst leaving the rest (if it ain't broke don't fix it) and kept the on demand services and faster boot etc, everything would have been peachy. But nooooo.... gotta monkey with it.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:36 PM
Rookie

Windows 8 signalled the End of partnership with my Company we hanged on till Decemeber 2012 but after much debate and MS lame sauce we no longer purchase Server and Desktop new Editions aka Win 8 and Win Server 2012

Thanks for Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 atleast

but hey if u would like us to again give u money MS listen to customers dunno just a suggestion